Something weird with image history

Shlomi

Hi, every so often I will lose the ability to apply screen-stretch. I mean, the image has gone through some processing, and showed up fine, but after applying undo/redo or working on some other image, when coming back to the image, if I try to screen-stretch, I get black image with just stars. The only way to get around it is to undo a step, and instead of redo it, I just reapply the same process. I tried to apply EZ soft-stretch on the image instead of the screen-stretch, just to see what will happen. It barfed up strange errors, about weird median value and negative black point ADU etc.. This led me to try and investigate a little closer, here is what I found:

1. I have an image I work on, after some processing done, statistics shows a median of 38
2. When the problem happened, the median suddenly became 888
3. Hitting undo on the image, brings the median back to 38, and redo brings it back to 888. Must be the process I applied, no? lets see..
4. Hitting undo, then grabbing the undo'ed process from process-history and reapplying it on the image (essentially doing redo but recomputing), gets me back to a median of 38

The only way I can explain this strangeness is perhaps with some form of corruption on the swap file for the undo/redo?

I can workaround this, but just wanted to see maybe I am not the only one experiencing this?

Thanks,
Shlomi

This problem cannot be reproduced.

Please provide an image and a detailed list of steps so we can reproduce and understand the problem. Otherwise are are unable to help and this cannot be filed as a reproducible bug.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't reproduce it at will. Otherwise I would have sent just that.

When that happened, I saved the project and restarted PI, thinking perhaps it was some stale problem, but it repeated right after opening the project. What I will try to do now is see if I can save only the faulty image as a project, if by opening it I get the problem again, I will upload the project for you to examine.

Thank you for uploading this project. This is extremely strange indeed. I'll investigate it, but I am unable to reproduce any similar problem by applying a similar sequence of processes. I have tried hard to cause something like the reported issue without success.

Unfortunately, the processing history in the project you have uploaded cannot be re-executed, since it requires a number of masks that are not present, as well as an instance of the MureDenoise script that requires parameters and data that are not specified.

I'll keep trying to understand what happens anyway. Please let me know if you encounter a new instance of this error.

Thanks for looking! The precise history is incidental, it happened in other, different process sequences as well, sometimes with significantly less steps..

Did you try to simply undo once and then reapply just the last step, which contains a sequence of ABE/DBE with no masks? that shows the error, but probably does not explain how or why it happened..

I'll try to see if I can get this to happen on a smaller sequence and will update this thread.

Thank you :)

Hi there, I'm experiencing similar problem. My auto screen transfer settings change after applying autoSTF following MUREdenoise (too aggressive). I save the pre-MUREDenoise autoSTF and apply it after MUREDenoise- this works for a while but every now and then the image after MUREDenoise will not be able to have the saved autoSTF or manual sliding on STF-> the viewed image won't change even after resetting STF. It gets worse when occasionally I'm stuck with a very black-clipped "looking" image (note still linear) and can't change the STF from there without redoing MUREDenoise.

I have noticed this happens following DBE too. The only solution is to redo DBE again. Sometimes when going back from the black-clipped appearing image, when I apply DBE again it appears that it is doing a DBE on a stretched blacked-image (the model is not smooth), even though it's the original DBE being applied again.

I've tried saving my project, exiting pixinsight and reloading project but no change.

I'm running Windows 10 and latest Pixinsight ver-12

?swap file problem (using 16x processor laptop with NVIDIA RTX3080 and have setup 16 equal swap file directories (same name) and on SSD Hard-drive)

Interseting to hear what may be going on.... very annoying problem

Attachments

• Pixinsight-Global settings.pdf
    183.6 KB · Views: 67
None of these problems can be reproduced. Please provide data and a sequence of steps to reproduce this problem consistently.

As for non-smooth looking background models, try enabling 24-bit STF and read this article to understand why this posterization happens.

Back