Setting Default Storage Directory

jliu

Is there a way to set the default storage directory from ../AppData/Local/Temp to one that I have specifically set up for a PixInsight session ? Every time I start Pixinsight I have to manually go to Preferences/Directories and Network and press "Load current page settings" to set the storage directory to the one I set up.

Hi,

The folders .../AppData/Local/Temp are where swap files for PixInsight normally reside. After opening a file, then PixInsight should remember that location for the current working session.

space is not black
John

Did you click 'Apply Global' (F6) before closing the Global Preferences dialog?

Bernd

Yes, I did, but doing that doesn't work. However, it always starts with the temp folder pointing to .../AppData/Local/Temp that I have to manually change. Pressing F6 does not change the program start setting. Regardless, thanks for your comment.

Jack

Hi,

The folders .../AppData/Local/Temp are where swap files for PixInsight normally reside. After opening a file, then PixInsight should remember that location for the current working session.

space is not black
John

Unfortunately, it doesn't do that in my case.

I can only imagine that you try to set a directory that can only be accessed with Admin privileges. Please create a folder in "C:/Users/user/", e.g. "C:/Users/user/PI_SwapStorage" and set this as the new swap storage directory.

'user' must correspond to your normal (not Admin) account.

Bernd

I can only imagine that you try to set a directory that can only be accessed with Admin privileges. Please create a folder in "C:/Users/user/", e.g. "C:/Users/user/PI_SwapStorage" and set this as the new swap storage directory.

'user' must correspond to your normal (not Admin) account.

Bernd

Unfortunately, creating another folder in my user directory doesn't work. I still must open Preferences and load current settings. I think I must adjust the default settings to refer to the alternate directory. What is the procedure to do that? Thanks.

When you open the Preferences tool from Process Explorer, or from the Process main menu item, you run it with a default set of parameters the first time you launch it. This is normal behavior, and is a consequence of PixInsight's object-oriented architecture: processes are self-contained, autonomous entities, independent on the data objects they can be executed on. In other words: Preferences knows nothing about the current preferences, in the same way that HistogramTransformation knows nothing about any particular image. There is a perfect isolation between processes and data by design (or should be, if I do my job well).

The Edit > Global Preferences main menu item is a convenience shortcut that loads the Preferences tool with the current set of preferences settings for the running PixInsight core application and launches it in a single operation. It is equivalent to launching Preferences from Process Explorer and then clicking the Load current settings button.

So the bottom line is: Under normal working conditions, if you customize any preferences settings, they will always be remembered across core application executions. The fact that you don't see them when you launch the Preferences tool is perfectly normal, and does not mean that your preferences haven't been loaded upon application startup. Click the Load current settings button to verify that they are indeed in effect.

When you open the Preferences tool from Process Explorer, or from the Process main menu item, you run it with a default set of parameters the first time you launch it. This is normal behavior, and is a consequence of PixInsight's object-oriented architecture: processes are self-contained, autonomous entities, independent on the data objects they can be executed on. In other words: Preferences knows nothing about the current preferences, in the same way that HistogramTransformation knows nothing about any particular image. There is a perfect isolation between processes and data by design (or should be, if I do my job well).

The Edit > Global Preferences main menu item is a convenience shortcut that loads the Preferences tool with the current set of preferences settings for the running PixInsight core application and launches it in a single operation. It is equivalent to launching Preferences from Process Explorer and then clicking the Load current settings button.

So the bottom line is: Under normal working conditions, if you customize any preferences settings, they will always be remembered across core application executions. The fact that you don't see them when you launch the Preferences tool is perfectly normal, and does not mean that your preferences haven't been loaded upon application startup. Click the Load current settings button to verify that they are indeed in effect.

Juan
Thanks for explaining. I was unaware there is a Global Preferences menu item under Edit that displays the actual swap and download directories from the close of the previous session. I thought all the preferences were handled by the Preference process tool and that it displayed the current swap and download directories and not the default initial release directories. So, everything is fine. Thanks.
Jack

Back