Release 1.8.8-6 - Blink process: Image window freezes

torstenk

Hi,

this error occurs after upgrading to release 1.8.8-6.
  1. Open the Blink process
  2. Add some images
  3. Play animation
When PixInsight is in full screen mode, the image window freezes. It comes back to live after exiting full screen mode. No problems with 1.8.8-5.

I run PixInsight on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with macOS Catalina 10.15.6.

Greetings,
Torsten

Hi Torsten,

I cannot reproduce this on any of our Mac machines, including the MacBook Pro where I'm writing this (15-inch, 2018, core i9). Blink works perfectly in full screen mode on this laptop, as well as on all of our iMac desktops.

This is a machine-specific issue. I don't know if this option is also available on your laptop, but the following usually improves screen performance on MacBooks considerably:

- Run the System Preferences application.
- Select the Energy Saver section.
- Disable the Automatic graphics switching option.

Hope this helps.

Hi Torsten,

I cannot reproduce this on any of our Mac machines, including the MacBook Pro where I'm writing this (15-inch, 2018, core i9). Blink works perfectly in full screen mode on this laptop, as well as on all of our iMac desktops.

This is a machine-specific issue. I don't know if this option is also available on your laptop, but the following usually improves screen performance on MacBooks considerably:

- Run the System Preferences application.
- Select the Energy Saver section.
- Disable the Automatic graphics switching option.

Hope this helps.

I have a a MacBook Pro 13inch 2020, running 10.15.6 and have a similar issue (perhaps) when running PI in full screen mode. I can select and blink through the individual subs but when I hit the play button, for the fast scrolling, nothing happens and the BlinkScreen freezes. I then swipe back to the desktop and swipe back to PI and the Blink Screen is scrolling as it should. The Energy Saver options you mention seem not to be available to me? I have come across similar issues where PI freezes and I follow the same procedure (swiping out of full screen PI and back) which shows again everything as it should be. I would like to use full screen mode (this only seems to happen in full screen mode) as I have only a 13” screen to work with. Any help appreciated and apologies if I’ve missed an easy fix or previous post on this.

As noted above, this cannot be reproduced on our machines. We don't use 13-inch Apple laptops and all of our laptops have NVIDIA discrete graphics cards besides the integrated Intel adapter (hence the possibility to disable the integrated adapter is available). This is a machine-specific issue beyond our control.

As noted above, this cannot be reproduced on our machines. We don't use 13-inch Apple laptops and all of our laptops have NVIDIA discrete graphics cards besides the integrated Intel adapter (hence the possibility to disable the integrated adapter is available). This is a machine-specific issue beyond our control.

Thanks for the reply Juan. So my particular 2020 13” MacBook Pro is not fully supported by the software I guess? I don’t think I meet the recommended spec (my laptop has a 2 GHz Quad-Core 10th Gen i5, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics) so will live with the glitchiness. This video shows my specific problem and applies to other processes in full screen mode as well.

I’m probably the only one stupid enough to use a 13” MacBook Pro to process images but I do need a machine that is highly portable and had thought this machine could handle it. My older 2016 13” MacBook Pro (2 GHz Dual-Core i5, 8GB RAM, Intel Iris Graphics) doesn’t have this issue by the way. Only the new machine.

Last edited:
This is a video of the same thing happening with DBE. Any advice on how I might alter a setting on my Mac to be able to use full screen mode without the swiping would be great. While it seems to be an issue with my machine I don’t know where else to ask such a question and this is only specific to PixInsight and not other full screen applications on my MacBook Pro. Not quite sure where to go from here...
3B3B9CFE-D65E-4FD5-8EB4-7D7129E16CDC.jpeg

Back