Registration process seems to return un-registered files

Frisia_Orientalis

Hi,

When trying to register images of the Orion nebula (see screenshot), I am facing a problem. At a first glance, the registration process seems to run as usual, i.e. without reporting any error. However, when looking at the "supposed-to-be" registered files, I only see the unchanged original images, not registered at all. I checked that I opened the correct files which are marked clearly with "_r" in the filename.

Shouldn't there be any error message if the process isn't running correctly? I also double checked with another set of images of a different object and the process works fine (as usual). What am I doing wrong with the Orion nebula?

The screenshot is from a single image after de-bayering and before registration. The picture was taken with some dew on the lens and - as a matter of course - there is quite a lot of nebulosity in the image.

Thanks in advance!
Karl

1634372303708.png

if you open one of your subs onto the desktop and then go into staralignment and switch the mode to "detected stars", you can apply staralignment to the view and you'll get a new image showing where staralignment thinks the stars are.

more than likely it's picked up on hot pixels on your sensor, which of course appear in the same place in each frame. so SA has registered your images to each other without any displacement at all.

you may need to adjust the star detection parameters in SA, or increase the noise scale and/or hot pixel removal, also in SA. you can try the "detected stars" thing after each tweak to see if SA is finding the real stars in the image. if so, you can then re-register all your subs with those new settings and it should work.

rob

Back