Re: PixInsight 1.8.8-3 Released

nm303

Hi,

I now cannot seem to save anything with this new version. I get this error.

Writing file:
C:/Users/nicho/Pictures/Integrations/heart/redbin.xisf
*** PCL Win32 System Exception: At address 00007FF901EBE320 with exception code C0000005 :
Access violation: invalid memory read operation at address 0000000000000008

*** Backtrace Information ***
================================================================================
  0: ? in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\PixInsight.exe at address: 0x3FEC1EDB
  1: _C_specific_handler in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140.dll at address: 0x35B3B860
  2: is_exception_typeof in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140.dll at address: 0x35B322E0
  3: is_exception_typeof in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140.dll at address: 0x35B322E0
  4: is_exception_typeof in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140.dll at address: 0x35B322E0
  5: _CxxFrameHandler3 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140.dll at address: 0x35B3C100
  6: _chkstk in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0x425E10E0
  7: RtlRaiseException in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0x425A9EF0
  8: KiUserExceptionDispatcher in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0x425DFE40
  9: QObject::children in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\Qt5Core.dll at address: 0x1EBE320
10: QAccessibleWidget::childCount in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\Qt5Widgets.dll at address: 0x21FC89C0
11: QAccessibleWidget::childCount in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\Qt5Widgets.dll at address: 0x21FC89C0
12: QAccessibleWidget::childCount in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\qt-plugins\platforms\qwindows.dll at address: 0x21FC89C0
13: QListData::shared_null in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\Qt5Core.dll at address: 0x1FBC228
14: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
15: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
16: QListData::shared_null in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\qt-plugins\platforms\qwindows.dll at address: 0x1FBC228
17: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
18: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
19: QListData::shared_null in module: C:\WINDOWS\system32\UIAutomationCore.dll at address: 0x1FBC228
20: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
21: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
22: QListData::shared_null in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\qt-plugins\platforms\qwindows.dll at address: 0x1FBC228
23: QListData::shared_null at address: 0x1FBC228
================================================================================
*** PixInsight API Error: CreateSpinBox(): Low-level API function error (0x0002): Internal error

<* cancel *>

Any ideas?

This does not happen under normal working conditions. It is very strange. Which version of Windows are you running? By "doing the reset", what do you mean exactly? Reset PixInsight Settings?

Yes sorry it was a reset of the PI settings. I did not have notifications on so only just saw your reply.

I am still have weird issues with PI crashing but I think possibly the last few updates that PI did automatically (i.e. after starting PI) might be the cause. I realise we are supposed to remove PI before installing a fresh version and that has not been done. I will be trying this as soon as I can.

I think I have fixed my crashing issue.
I think this is what fixed it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 63
I have been receiving this same error message occasionally in 1.8.8-6 lately.

Seems to occur more often after I switch from using my Monitor/Graphics Card to connecting to the computer over Windows Remote Desktop. I do this periodically when I start an imaging session and have PixInsight minimized to the background. (In this example was running a drizzle operation, that finished successfully. The error occurred when I attempted to save it to the file system.)

It would be nice if PixInsight could recover from the CreateSpinBox method in this use case and still allow the file to be saved before propogating the error as this seems possibly be UI/display driver related.

1599063414040.png

1599063437064.png

Hi Jonathan,

The error in CreateSpinBox() is a consequence of the real problem, not the origin of problem. The access violation error is being caused by uiautomationcore.dll, which is a Windows component (Windows Accessibility Features).

This is not a bug in PixInsight. This is a machine-specific issue and, from the backtrace information you have posted, it looks like a Windows bug.

Thanks Juan! Agreed it certainly sounds like it's not a PixInsight issue necessarily as I alluded to related to display adapter, and how maybe something related to how the rendering of various UI updates are propagated when the display adapter changes (as I mentioned this often occurs after leveraging the computer over remote desktop with PixInsight idling in the background.)

Since this particular 1.8.8 update I have been having a large number of crashes that haven't really been an issue in prior versions of PixInsight, mostly corrupted cache related issues but also more frequently these "Access Violation: invalid read operation at ..." most often attributed with the CreateSpinBox per this stack trace, but certainly not limited to it.

In prior versions of PixInsight after leaving an instance open for a few days, switching back and forth over RemoteDesktop would incur a very significant "freeze" of the software, mainly as a product of the resolution change requiring a bit of synchronous updates to occur in the rendering code. It would eventually become responsive again, and all was well with the work I had been doing. I have not had this freeze happen since this particular update, but instead these kinds of error messages when attempting to launch a new process after the display adapter connects after logging in. The solution is easy, just restart PixInsight and everything resumes working just fine. But the problem I'd really like to see specifically around how recovery might occur... when I am forced to restart the program, and cannot save my work it gets quite frustrating as I am sure you can imagine. In the mean time I have been either resorting to saving project files with images included frequently, or (more recently) limiting the amount of time I leave a particular instance of PixInsight open. Sometimes, in the middle of running a process the application would just "vanish"... hard crash with no prompts with your typical crash dialog box.

Over the past two years, I have found myself being a very heavy PixInsight user, swapping back and forth between many projects as nightly, lunar, and and weather conditions vary. This has been a very powerful product, an I appreciate the work that has gone into it, and the continued strides you and the team are taking towards continuous improvements.

As with the majority of bugs like this (whether PixInsight, QT, Windows, Display Driver, or whatever various components are involved) if it's not easily reproducible I expect no one to do anything about it, so if I come up with a way to reliably reproduce these kinds of issues, I'll be happy to report and share.

Thanks,
-Jonathan

Back