Question on WBPP

freed

Hello,
I usually have my Master Flats already calibrated with associated Master Flat Dark and then integrated. In WBPP, it is unclear if these Master Flats are getting calibrated again and should I tick or not the calibrate with Master Dark Flat (I'm not sure how relevant it is here since I have already done that).

Thanks

Master Flats are not re-calibrated- they are simply used.
To be clear, you have RAW flats that are calibrated with an associated Master Flat Dark. That creates a Master Flat- which again in WBPP is not calibrated again. The checkbox for "Calibrate Master Darks" is used to tell WBPP that the master dark is normal (that is contains the Bias). Keep this checked.. If you choose to optimize your master dark, WBPP will handle things correctly.
Could you please check out the series I created on WBPP and see if this answers your questions?

Sincerely,
Adam

Thanks Adam, I did go through the full series but I couldn't remember the specifics. However, there may be some confusion with the checkbox referenced. My flats last a long time so I create my master flat outside of WBPP, calibrated with Dark Flats. Once I bring these Master Flats in WBPP I wasn't sure what to do with the checkbox in the Flats windows called "Calibrate with Dark Flats" since I have already done that.

Thanks Adam, I did go through the full series but I couldn't remember the specifics. However, there may be some confusion with the checkbox referenced. My flats last a long time so I create my master flat outside of WBPP, calibrated with Dark Flats. Once I bring these Master Flats in WBPP I wasn't sure what to do with the checkbox in the Flats windows called "Calibrate with Dark Flats" since I have already done that.

Ah. Yes... please review the series! Calibrate with Dark Flats only applies to the creation of a Master Flat from raw flat images you load into WBPP. Since you are bringing in a Master Flat... as I mentioned above, the Master is used as is. Going forward, it would be best to create your master files in WBPP. There are a couple of ways to mess things up by doing so. If you have everything straight in you head about how the calibration process works- it is no problem to configure WBPP to work for you.... it is just keeping that logic straight in your head.

-adam

One thing I should add, I'm not sure how WBPP deals with CMOS when you are using different gains for LRGB and narrowband. For example, I have 300s darks created at different gains, my flats also would be created with different gains. I'm not sure how WBPP associates the right darks, flats and lights using the those created with same gain as it seems to rely on duration and filter only for association. I ended up using WBPP for LRGB and another round of WBPP for narrowband separately but using the same reference for registration. Maybe I'm over complicating things....

Yeah..I think it is your responsibility to match gain values. You are fundamentally changing the behavior of the sensor. It would be like asking WBPP to match for different bias levels (for example).
-adam

A simple trick is to use different durations. For example, 300S for RGB and 310 for a narrowband filter. Obviously darks will need to be of similar different durations. In WBPP you can restrict the exposure tolerance. I think that would work.

Yes..that is a fine scheme. You can also take advantage of WBPP's scanning of the file name as well. Read the manual for more on this.
=adam

Back