Question about order of processes

StuartT

Am I right in thinking that PCC and EZ Denoise should be performed on linear data? Or can they be done on stretched data?
Thanks

PCC for sure, absolutely. the star intensities have to be linear for photometry to work.

the instructions for EZDenoise do say that it should be performed on a linear image. the underlying process (TGVDenoise) can actually be used on either linear or stretched data but you need to set the parameters much differently depending on whether or not the image is stretched.

rob

PCC for sure, absolutely. the star intensities have to be linear for photometry to work.

the instructions for EZDenoise do say that it should be performed on a linear image. the underlying process (TGVDenoise) can actually be used on either linear or stretched data but you need to set the parameters much differently depending on whether or not the image is stretched.

rob
Ok, thanks.

With regard to EZ Denoise, I am using the default parameters. So would those be ok as long as I run it on linear data?

i guess so... i haven't ever used it in anger. just installed it to have as a reference if people ask questions. i think the "how to use ezdenoise" button gives a little bit of info about how to tweak the parameters if need be.

rob

I usually save a clone before running it, but I find ez denoise just does the right thing with defaults.

Not ez deconv, it usually requires a fair amount of handholding, adding stars it misses, tuning parameters.

I've only run either on linear.

Ok, thanks.

With regard to EZ Denoise, I am using the default parameters. So would those be ok as long as I run it on linear data?

I have only ever used denoise with the defaults and it has always looked ok although I have to admit to not having much of a clue to knowing where to start to even think about changing anything. To be fair I've not looked into TGV etc in order to do so....

Thanks everyone. I shall continue to leave my stretching until after the main processes mentioned above.

Just fyi, I tend to clone my image just before stretching then I try it a) with EZ Soft Stretch and b) with Histo Trans (using the parameters transferred from the unlinked stretch in STF). In almost all cases, I find EZ Soft Stretch to produce a better result

Back