Processing Examples

Alejandro Tombolini

PixInsight Ambassador
I open this thread to group processing examples I posted in the different sub forums.
The title corresponds to the original in the subforum. It is detailed who owns the image and date of processing, because as time passes my techniques have changed and may be useful to know when it was published.
Comments, criticisms and suggestions for improvement are welcome in order to improve our knowledge and use of PixInsight.

M97 Owl nebula in H-alpha
M97Andres.gif

Image of Andres Pozo publicated in Gallery - Increase details in the Nebulae and noise reduction - Main notes: Contrast with HDRMultiscaleTransform and LocalHistogramEqualization.
Date: March 2014

NGC 253
NGC253-320X212.jpg

Image publicated in Gallery - highlight the fine luminosity in the periphery of the galaxy - Main notes: high stretch with HistogramTransformation - Saturation - Contrast with ATWT.
Date: November 2013

Newbie... Flaming Star Nebula
flaming+star+nebula.png

Image of JohnP publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Uncalibrated integration - Main notes: Create a mask and eliminate hot pixels with Morphological Transformation Tool.
Date: November 2013

New challenge from heavily LP area, from new PI user
sctall_mask_32.png

Image of Scott publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Noise image and lack of signal - Main notes: Contrast with Adaptive Stretch protecting with a special RangeMask and noise reduction.
Date: September 2013

NGC6960 8x600s PI processed
cbobchin07320.gif

Image of cbobchin publicated in Gallery - Blue halos - Main notes: Starmask and Interchannel Curves to reduce halos.
Date: August 2013

Help processing Milky Way images
Final320.png

Image of MJCformCT publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Noise image and lack of signal - Main notes: Cosmetic Correction,  Adaptative Stretch and Saturation to increase  contrast.
Date: August 2013

Milky way  - One shot image - Take II
Proxima+Sur+Via+lactea+320x210.jpg

Image publicated in Gallery  - One shot 30 second image - Main notes: Range mask to process sky independiently from mountains, ATrousWaveletTransform to reduce noise in chorminance by layer.
Date: April 2013

Moon - One shot image - Take I
Luna+y+Molino+320x212.jpg

Image publicated in Gallery  - One shot noise image - Main notes: Adaptative Stretch to reveal dim background and Range Mask to process high contrast areas.

Markarian's Chain with DSLR
Ignacio1.png

Image of Ignacio publicated in Gallery  - Noise reduction - Main notes: ATrousWaveletTransform to reduce noise in chorminance by layer.

Rosette Nebula - help, can this be processed?
jsines_Rosette_003.png

Image of jsines publicated in Image Processing Challenges  - Partially proccesed - Main notes: DynamicBackgroundExtraction and Repaired HSV Separation script.

NGC 362 - Part of SMC NGC 292
ProximaSurNgc362-320x210.jpg

Publicated in Gallery - Part of NGC 292 to analize the achieved colors  - Main notes: Deconvolution using Regulatized Van Cittert Algorithm and detailed structure mask of the cluster.
Date: Feb 2013

Impact of Deconvolution on LRGB Images
M15+Don020.png

Image of dgbarar publicated in General - Description until Deconvolution - Main notes: PSF and Deconvolution, correction of halos.

Newb PI Convert - Noise Assessment?
NGC2841f11.jpg

Image of f11 publicated in General - Complete description of an L image - Main notes: DBE, CosmeticCorrection, PixelMath, Noise reduction.

SMC NGC 292
Proxima+Sur+NGC+292+320X240.jpg

Publicated in Gallery - Complete description of an image with excellent adquisition conditions - Main notes: Enhancement of contrast in nebulae structures in the galaxy with ATWT and HDR for the cluster.

NGC 2359
NGC2359+Julian.jpg

Image of Jules publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Complete description of a narrowband image - Main notes: Carefull DBE and CBR to rescue fines details in SII wich was quite weak

NGC 7479 - PI vs. Photoshop
ngc7479-RGB.jpg

Image of jlake publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Complete description of an LRGB image - Main notes: special masks
Date: Nov 2012

M27 - Deconvolution Issues
niteman1946-09.png

Image of niteman1946 publicated in General - Deconvolution process - Main notes: PSF and Deconvolution, correction of halos.
Date: Nov 2012

Manual Star Alignment ?
DynamicAlignment06.png

Publicated in General - Manual alignment for mosaic - Main notes: DynamicAlignment and GradientMergeMosaic
Date: Oct 2012

final touch up for web presentation
Resample02.png

Publicated in General - Web publication - Main notes: Resample to minimize loss of quality when publishing

October 2012 Contest Images
ProximaSur+NGC7293+320X212.jpg

Publicated in Monthly Contest  - Complete description of a RGB image - Main notes: Deconvolution by channel, correction of dark pixels in the background (old metod), DrawSignature.

Cadwell 67
Proxima+Sur+Cadwell+67+320x212.jpg

Publicated in Gallery - Complete description of a RGB image - Main notes: DBE and CBR for big gradientes and banding, HDRWT, InterChannelCuerves to increase details in Blue channel.
Date: Sep 2012

Pls Help:NGC6823 with Nebula, Canon DSLR, >12hours exp time, low contrast nebula
Procesada.jpg

Image of Christoph Puetz publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Complete description of a very weak nebulae - Main notes: MaskedStretch, Saturation, ATWT for Chrominance noise reduction, LogStretch.
Date: Aug 2012

August 2012 Contest Images
ProximaSur+M16+wide+320x205.jpg

Publicated in Monthly Contest  - Complete description of a RGB image - Main notes:  Inspecting with HE, Deconvolution rings, HDRWT, Exponential Transformation, stars reduction.
Date: Aug 2012

M106, tricky background gradients and noise
M106_39x3_PI.jpg

Image of DanielF publicated in Image Processing Challenges  - Complete description of a RGB Image - Main notes: ABE+DBE, Saturation+ACDNR, InterChannelCurves, incresase details with MMT.
Date: Jun 2012

Sun
Proxima+Sur+Venus+Transit+320x240.jpg

Publicated in Gallery - Complete description of a Sun image - Main notes: RangeMask to make white the solar flares
Date: Jul 2012

June 2012 Contest Images
ProximaSur+Transito+de+Venus+320x240-2.jpg

Publicated in Monthly Contest - Complete description of the transit image  - Main notes: FourierTransform to eliminate pattern

NGC1333, me against you...talking about dust processing
integration1.png

Image of LorenzoM publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Complete description of a Luminance - Main notes: MaskedStretch, GREYStoration for noise reduction, LHE for contrast.

Best possible result with a minimum of Data
M51+Lex.jpg

Image of Lex publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Complete description  - Main notes: CBR and DEB to correct background, Convolution to reduce noise pattern, sharpen with MMT
Date: May 2012

I am in trouble with this one.... need some help!
final1600.jpg

Image of Sedat publicated in Image Processing Challenges - Complete description of a RGB image - Main notes:  CBR for vertical banding, SCNR and ACDNR, HDRMultiscaleTransform and MMT for details
Date: Apr 2012

Thanks Alejandro!
Its a great idea to bring all your valuable impressive processing examples under one TOC.
Its like a book now. It saves a lot of searching time for the different "HowTo"s and makes all visible at a glance!

Thanks, Great Work!

Gerald

Alejandro, this is a terrific idea.  Losing access to any of these wonderful tutorials would truly be a loss to the PI community.  Thanks you for making it so easy to find these great resources.

Craig

Hi Alejandro
Thanks a lot for the list of your processing examples (with the main notes!!). I saved most of them; but there were still some missing.
Interesting to see also some examples on how to process solar images. Till now, I couldn'd find a lot on solar or planetary processings.
Raymond

Thank you!!!  :) :) :)
I think this way is easy an quick for pointing examples for those that are starting to use PI. I will update the link with each new example.
Saludos. Alejandro.

Earlier today, while reading your SMC NGC 292 thread, I was thinking "Huh, someone ought to put together a post with links to all of Alejandro's great tutorial threads, because that would be a fantastic resource."  Needless to say, at the time, I had not finished going through all the "Unread posts since last visit".  :D  Thank you for reading my mind.

This will, indeed, be a fantastic resource for us paduans still learning PI!  Keep up the good work.

Thank you all, :)
Yes, it is more organized now, I will add links while examples are coming.

Videos...  :-\, maybe, but the problem is that I am not good in english..., maybe in spanish ::)..., luckly we have Harry's, Gerald's, etc. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Saludos, Alejandro

I think this thread should definitely be made sticky, these are invaluable. Thank you for all the effort, Alejandro!

Hi,

First a big thank you to Alejandro for this huge tutorials!
Second, this is absolutely wort to make it sticky! Nearly all the processing steps needed for all cases is decribed here in!

Best!

Perhaps not the correct thread to put this under, but can someone point me to an example of handling a single RAW (M42 in this case) process flow?  I've got through the intro to 1.8 video, have a good handle on a number of things, but still struggle with even at times whether to use PURE_RAW for the import or use the standard import for DSLR_RAW (I struggle with color rendition with the PURE_RAW).  Also, I'd like to understand multiple masking.. again using M42 entire region, there are three distinct areas that can be processed individually..

Thanks in advance for any guidance.  I have Warren Keller's book..

Jay S.

Hi! Whenever I want to access each movie / tutorial does it not open movie and take me to the forum home page?

Back