Problems with calibrating Canon 6D files

ArkturK

Good day

Unfortunately I have a problem with my Canon 6D files. The images calibrate very strangely, I get a spot in the upper left corner that is displayed almost black. With DBE I can correct this relatively well, but it doesn't really look right.

Unfortunately, the mirror box is also badly calibrated, but I've read that it's normal with the 6D. So I have to crop a relatively large amount of the image in order to then edit it to some extent OK.

Normally I use a QHY268C with which I don't have these problems, the files always calibrate perfectly and are then also much easier to edit. The 6D files are also not that problematic on camera lenses, but I have now used them for the first time on the Newton and I am therefore very happy for advice on where my mistake could be!

For setup and recording:

- Canon 6D Modified
- 8" F4 Newton with GPU corrector (working distance not perfect, therefore the bananas at the edge)
- Flats are created with a dimmable flat field box
- no darkframes created because the temperature at night is very difficult to reproduce during the day (drops by more than 8°C)
- Lights were created with 300 seconds at ISO 1600
- BIAS at ISO 1600 and 1/4000 second (100 pieces)
- Flats at ISO 200 and 0.6 second (50 pieces)
- Flat darks at ISO 200 and 0.6 seconds (50 pieces)

I can rule out stray light because we don't have a source of light that interferes, the sky has an average of 21.00 SQM. I also tried flats with 1.6 seconds, the result was the same. I suspect I've set something wrong in PI or set some value wrong.

In the link I have added a single RAW, a single flat and the Masterlight, Masterflat and Masterbias for download.

Thanks for advice and greetings

mmmh, your Flats and FlatDarks should be at the same ISO as the light frames and I would create Darks even with the temp difference.....

Hi John

I also made flats with the same ISO, but they produce the same image as the end result.

I have now seen in the rejection map that this corner is displayed.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    770.1 KB · Views: 55
... besides 57 satellite trails, 1 aircraft trail and the funky corner ... wow!!! Is this perhaps a light leak or amp glow, then Darks would help

Looks like Art :D The Files on the QHY do never look like that. I create another Set of Flats again with the same ISO and do a Set of Darks in the Fridge and try again.

have you tried covering the viewfinder on the camera? sometimes light can leak in thru there during darks.

Yes I have tried that, the first Set of Calibration Frames are (for test purpose) made Outside during Night time. And there's no Light Leak Visible in any of the Frames.

Back