Point me in the right direction - clearly, I have messed up

This is my preprocessed image with lights, darks, flats and bias frames and one pass with DBE. It has the 'measles'!

M81Stackedcropped_DBE_xx.jpg

The JPG image shows posterization. Was the image stretched in PixInsight or is it a screen shot of the linear image?

If it is a linear image, enable 'Apply Screen Transfer Functions using 24-bit Lookup Tables' (the display icon with a '24' in the control bar) and check whether the posterization effect diappears.

Bernd

I think I made some upstream errors. While trying to focus my camera, i used backyard nikon and it changed my camera settings from RAW to JPG. I tried to do my processing with the jpg files and my intermediate results were a little off, but i pressed on.

Luckily I had good a good sky (for the Houston area) again last night and did a reshoot in RAW so I am just ready to process the new subs. Thanks.

yeah jpeg is impossible - of course the signal is very low in the captured lights and 2 things happen - jpegs only have 8 bits per channel leading to pretty extreme quantization error, and the jpeg compression algorithm then makes a complete mess of the data.

anyway good to hear it worked out with RAWs.

rob

Back