PixInsight Workshop at AIC 2011

Jharvey

I see Steve Leshin will be giving a 2 hour PixInsight workshop on the friday of AIC this year.  Congrats Steve!

Thanks, Jack. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to use PI after all. :) Now, where did I put that users manual? :D

Steve

Hi

Good luck steve I am sure you will be excellent  8) I hear bud guinn is coming with you  , sort him out will you  O:)

Regards Harry

I haven't been to AIC before, but I will try to go this year!

I wanted to go to the 2010 conference, but was too busy with work and other duties. I've been excited to go to an AIC, so as to geek out on all the high-tech imaging gear, software, and methods. The addition of a PI presentation this year makes it extra tempting. I was sorry to have missed RBA's talk at the 2010 AIC.

On the passenger's seat, in the DeLorean?

So that's where Juan is hiding the documentation. ;)

Thanks for the encouraging comments. Look forward to meeting many of you there.

Steve

sleshin said:
Thanks, Jack. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to use PI after all. :) Now, where did I put that users manual? :D

Nice move by Ken & co.

I still remember Jack Harvey's PixInsight workshop in 2008. How many were we, Jack? 10 people? The room was almost empty, while next room, the ImagesPlus guy had such crowd that some people were standing.

Things have changed, and I'm certain you'll have a full room this time around.

BTW, save me a seat in the front row! ;)

RBA and Sander  I remember you two as about the handful that had an interest, maybe a couple of others.  I think 10 is a generous estimate<G>.  Probably half were there to sit down and rest as they had been standing at ImagesPlus.  Congrats on yesterday's APOD RBA.  Steve good luck.  don't try to teach to much as these are new concepts IMO.  If you get across the idea of linear vs non linear and go thru the tools for a simple workflow you will score.  With left over time maybe some pearls like your background work.

I am sure you will do a great job and will have more than 10!

Nocturnal said:
Oh I think there were at least 20 people in the room :)
Well, not that it matters, but I assure you there were definitely not more than 15 people, and that's aiming high.
You're obviously getting old ;)

And now I remember you! You're the one who kept interrupting Jack  ;D

Anyway, this is about Steve's workshop, which is going to rock! (peer pressure  :angel: )

(.....peer pressure)

Peer pressure, what's that? :) And, with RBA in the front row, I can always get him to answer the tough questions. :D

Do appreciate the support and encouragement and, Jack, thanks for the suggestions. The workshop is only one hour so it will be a challenge to decide what to include. Also, not sure what the PI experience of the audience is likely to be. I suspect there will be enough there with little or no experience which I will need to take into account. I haven't begun to put anything together yet but my initial thoughts are to start by introducing and demonstrating some of PI's unique user interface. Simple thinks like Previews, the Image container, History explorer, where to find and how to use Process modules and icons....etc. Then the bulk of the time devoted to demonstrating how I use the various tools to process an image probably emphasizing the tools unique to PI. You know, the ones with the funny names that scare everyone away. :D

And, don't mind and in fact, appreciate any suggestions from this elite and experienced group.

Steve

Steve,

that is indeed the trouble with these types of workshops. You attract both curious newcomers and old salts. I would gear the preso towards newcomers and make this clear at the beginning and perhaps even on the AIC site. For my MWAIC presentation I actually put up a slide poking fun at PI's unjustified reputation for being hard to use. I ended up doing some advanced topics but threw in an explanation about the basics when possible.

Perhaps the following would be good processes to cover:

- histogram
- curves
- acdnr

These are relatively easy to explain because they have similar tools in PS. This will allow you to show how much better PI is even at the basics. Be sure to do things like resizing the process dialogs to show how the graphs resize and zooming in/out to find detail etc. Not to mention real time preview of course.

I was terrified I'd run out of material before my hour was up and ended up with 4 topics when really I could barely cover 2 after the introduction was done. I probably wasted a lot of prep time with that extra material but I felt good having extra stuff in my back pocket. Of course everyone is different in that regard and I was doing a presentation on a stage rather than sitting behind a table in a relatively small room. I was delighted when it was over :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/sander.pool/MWAIC10?authkey=Gv1sRgCKvgh9nng5CLYQ#5498596453427637106

That t-rex image is hilarious but one has to be careful... Some of the audience can be sensitive and you need to turn the wheel really fast!

I think the suggestion to present tools that are somewhat familiar to non-PixInsight users is a good strategy.

Nocturnal said:
I was delighted when it was over :)

If you're not having a good time, it's harder to give the audience a good time.

Workshops are smaller and much more manageable than podium-like presentations, but FWIF, speaking in front of a large audience can be a bit intimidating, and the trick to imagine everyone in the room is naked does NOT work (at best you'd be grossed out, unless your topic is "How to be a good model for Victoria's Secret"), but if you're the nervous type (not you Sander or Steve in particular) and know your stuff, the nervousness shouldn't last more than 2-3 minutes. Then, work on inspiring the audience! Have a good entrance and also a good ending. It's kind of lame to go on a presentation doing blah blah blah... blah blah blah... the thank you slide comes up, and thank you very much without a nice closing... (I know, I've done that). But I'm not a seasoned speaker by any means and this may not be a topic to discuss here in depth.

Back