PixInsight shutdown while trying to start!

I recently acquired a used 27" iMac. I installed the latest version of PixInsight with no problem. After I activated the program it started to run but gets to a point where it shuts down. This usually happens quickly.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated!

this is not enough info. are you doing something in particular when it crashes? is there anything in the console log or any dialog boxes? is there a macosx crash report?

rob

I double click the PixInsight icon, the program starts to run and then shuts off. No dialog box, but there is a macos crash report.

@fredvanner the console log is the console window (in the left tab bar) but if PI never started then you won't see it. PI doesn't print much of anything on stdout unfortunately.

@stellartom can you post the macosx crash report? the most common problem is an older CPU which lacks the AVX/FMA instructions might crash when PI tries to load the StarNet++ module. the tensorflow libraries contain those instructions.

"/Applications/PixInsight/bin/libtensorflow_framework.2.dylib abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type pcl::EUnixIllegalInstructionException"
This looks like a smoking gun. It doesn't like the Starnet++ install (which uses the tensorflow library).
I don't know how you tell PI to run without Starnet.

just go to /Applications/PixInsight/bin and delete (or move somewhere else outside of the PI application bundle) Starnet-pxm.dylib and it should start.

rob

delete (or move somewhere else outside of the PI application bundle) Starnet-pxm.dylib
Would it also be a good idea to remove the tensorflow library (tensorflow.dll on my Windows PC)? (or is it safe as long as nobody calls it?)

PixInsight loaded up to this point(screen shot) and when I hit the ok button it finished loading.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 1.12.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 1.12.22 PM.png
    340.7 KB · Views: 48
Would it also be a good idea to remove the tensorflow library (tensorflow.dll on my Windows PC)? (or is it safe as long as nobody calls it?)

you don't have to remove it as nothing but StarNet will attempt to reference the symbols in that library. conversely it's ok to remove it for the same reason.

@stellartom what's happening there is that PI has the module name in it's preferences list file, and has tried to load it at startup but did not find it. because of this it will automatically delete the module from the preferences list and from now on you won't get that error anymore.

i think in the past juan had said to delete the tensorflow library rather than the module as i think what happens then is that the module silently fails to load (and thus there's no dialog box presented.) however, this is going to happen behind the scenes every time you start PI, which, i guess is actually OK.

rob

Sorry for the cross post.. Trying to get Starnet to run under OSX Mojave on a Mac Pro with PI 1.8.8-6.. What is the latest Starnet install files date? I'm finding a November 2019 download SourceForge..

in -6 it's part of the PI distribution now; the thing on sourceforge was for -4 thru -5.

if your mac's CPU is too old, starnet won't run as your CPU needs FMA and AVX2 instructions.

Back