PixInsight not loading all selected files

ibid

I'm a brand new user, still in the trial phase so I hope I am not posting a dumb question.

Any time I am supposed to select a set of files to be read by PI, I have noticed something really strange. I browse to a directory using PI, I select the first image by clicking to highlight it, and then do a shift-click (I'm on a Mac) to select the last image in the directory so that all files in the directory should now be selected. The odd behavior is that once PI has loaded the images, I see that it has only loaded a subset. Yesterday, for example, I had 1062 images in a directory and it only loaded a few hundred. I've found a really kludgy workaround: If I click on the first filename and then slowly scroll through the entire file list, I can see individual file names changing from grey to black as I scroll. If I do that and then shift-click on the final filename, PI will then read it all of the files in the directory. While this works, it's tedious and I need to remember to do it otherwise I am not loading the correct file sets.

I am using a Mac running MacOS 12.6 and PixInsight Standard Edition; Core version 1.8.9-1 Ripley (x64); build 1556.

Don't know how it is on a Mac, in Windows, you select the first file , then press Control+a. Maybe on a Mac, a different special key is used together with 'a' (for "all"), just try it out.

Bernd

Yeah, this is very annoying. It’s basically a problem with QT’s file management on the Mac when using the Mac skin for the dialog. You can turn that off and it will work in global preferences.

There is a better way, though. If you drag the folder in finder onto PI’s window and drop it on the file selection list it will load all the files without opening a dialog. I found that to be the best way.

Yeah, this is very annoying. It’s basically a problem with QT’s file management on the Mac when using the Mac skin for the dialog. You can turn that off and it will work in global preferences.

There is a better way, though. If you drag the folder in finder onto PI’s window and drop it on the file selection list it will load all the files without opening a dialog. I found that to be the best way.
(Months later...)

I went into Global -> Preferences and under File I/O Settings I turned off Use Native File Dialogs. If I put all of the FITS files into their own directory I can now load all of them without an issue. I will try the drag and drop method as well. THANK YOU very much for this!

As an aside, there does seem to be another bug in the non-native dialog: If my FITS files are in a directory with, say, a bunch of JPEG files and I specify I only want FITS files, the FITS files are correctly bolded and the JPEG files are in grey. But if I then highlight the first FITS file and then shift-click on the last FITS file, all of the FITS files -and- the JPEG files are loaded into PI. Presumably, the dialog should only be selecting the bolded FITS files when I do that.

Back