PixInsight Manual

Brian_73

My wish is to see the PI team create an active online manual describing all the features and functions as a reference guide. Also, a reference sheet outlining common PI math expressions.

I assume most of us wish for the same thing. Something like this guide will help reducing a lot of the misconceptions regarding PI (and astronomical data processing) we meet here and elsewhere. But I understand the PI team is small and when a freshly developed feature seems to have momentum, they will put all their effort there, and not at writing the documentation.

Also, see this extract from the 1.8.8-8 release notes:

We've Hired!

Edoardo Luca Radice is now part of our staff, in charge of writing and improving the official documentation for all PixInsight processes and scripts. He is now starting with this monumental task and his first results are fantastic, which means that we will be able to overcome an important weak point that has been damaging PixInsight since its beginning. See an example of Edoardo's work in the official documentation of the ImageCalibration tool, which he has completed and is now available in version 1.8.8-8 of PixInsight.

Also, see this extract from the 1.8.8-8 release notes:

We've Hired!

Edoardo Luca Radice is now part of our staff, in charge of writing and improving the official documentation for all PixInsight processes and scripts. He is now starting with this monumental task and his first results are fantastic, which means that we will be able to overcome an important weak point that has been damaging PixInsight since its beginning. See an example of Edoardo's work in the official documentation of the ImageCalibration tool, which he has completed and is now available in version 1.8.8-8 of PixInsight.
This is great news!? I hope it covers non processing topics such as Save Project (all aspects); file naming conventions ie for WBPP etc; hot keys cheat sheet; and the PI interface including handling process icons, workspaces, etc.
OK, not realistic, but I can have my dreams!
Roger

There's no doubt PI can and will benefit from a comprehensive documentation set. I've written elsewhere about the algorithm differences between MLT and MMT, which if I understood better would likely enable me to utilize the tools with more impact. My 'vote' is for documentation to include actual details of algorithms, so that explanations of individual parameters and their impact will make sense to those of us more mathematically inclined... Jim

Back