PixInsight and Dell computers

GJL

Hello together,
I have to buy a new notebook. I remember that there were once problems between PixInsight and Dell computers.
Do these problems still exist.

Thank you, best regards Gerhard

I have a Dell XPS 13 running Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I mainly use this computer for imaging (APT), but I have PI installed, which I use for "quick-look" processing. I've never had any problems with it.

at some point in the past dell would pre-install some "shovelware" (meaning junk software that's just shoveled onto the computer) which also used Qt. Windows would get confused by this and try to load the version of Qt installed by the dell software instead of the one shipped with PI, causing PI to malfunction.

this may no longer be a problem, hard to know for sure. i think this was back in the windows 7 days.

rob

I am writing this right now on a nice Dell Precision 5550 laptop with 32 GiB of RAM, a wonderful 4K screen, and an 8-core Intel Core i9 processor. PixInsight runs like a dream on this machine with Kubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS.

I am writing this right now on a nice Dell Precision 5550 laptop with 32 GiB of RAM, a wonderful 4K screen, and an 8-core Intel Core i9 processor. PixInsight runs like a dream on this machine with Kubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS.
Hi, by chance this is the machine I run... earlier version 5510 with 8-core i7. I have actually two... have a lab with a lot of Dells.
I have the Xenon processor in one, but I do not see any advantages. Should run the benchmarks on both.
Is there any advantage of running Ubuntu? Seems to me I recall PI is in C++, so the compiled code probably runs at the same speed, maybe?

Last edited:
can report that my new DELL Inspiron 5515 works like a charm. double the speed of my 4 years old MacBook Pro 15" (with 4 cores).
big improvements for a very reasonable price tag!

just to add on this one: I added a 1TB Samsung 980 by putting it into the 2280 slot and moved the system SSD into the 2230 slot. As a result, the writing speed doubled since the Samsung writes twice as fast as the Kioxia. Both slots have the same speed but the 2280 SSDs are easier to come by so I had to swap the SSDs. You can find the speed test of my laptop in the Benchmark list. Its a DELL Inspiron 15 5515 with 5700U 8 core.

Back