Pixinsight 1.8.8.6 Crashing

GordonH

I'm getting two errors in the new release:
1) If I try and exit using the "X" in the upper right corner, Pixinsight doesn't completely exit. I need to use Task Manager to end the process. This doesn't seem to happen if I "Quit" from the file menu.
2) I'm getting frequent crashes. The most recent while using the EZ Live Stack. See the attached screen grab.
PixInsight_ErrorMessage.GIF

I updated an old pc and everything ran OK. I re-installed PI on the pc where I had problems and they now seem resolved. A file must have been corrupted. Good for now.

Hi Gordon,

1) If I try and exit using the "X" in the upper right corner, Pixinsight doesn't completely exit. I need to use Task Manager to end the process. This doesn't seem to happen if I "Quit" from the file menu.

This cannot be reproduced on any of our working and testing Windows 10 machines. This has not been reported before for current versions of PixInsight. I would recommend checking your computer for malware, as well as conflicting third-party utilities, such as antivirus applications, file management utilities, and similar bloatware.

2) I'm getting frequent crashes. The most recent while using the EZ Live Stack. See the attached screen grab.

This cannot be reproduced either with version 1.8.8-6 of PixInsight on any of our working and testing machines with up-to-date Windows 10 version 2004 (August 2020). The problem you are showing is not new. It was reproducible with version 1.8.8-5 on Windows 10 version 1909 (May 2020).

These crashes are not being caused by our code. They are happening in Qt (QWidget), and there is nothing more we can do to prevent or fix them. These issues are being caused by buggy Windows updates, graphics driver bugs, or combinations of both. My recommendation, if you haven't already done so, is that you upgrade your computer to the latest Windows 10 version by installing all updates available. If that doesn't apply or doesn't help, another possibility is a clean reinstall of Windows. Other than that, I'm afraid I cannot help you.

Hello and good morning,
after installation of PI 1.8.6 on my mac High Sierra 10.13.6 Macbook pro mid 2010, PI start and immedately crashed .
Why ?
Best regards
Rainer

Hello and good morning,
after installation of PI 1.8.6 on my mac High Sierra 10.13.6 Macbook pro mid 2010, PI start and immedately crashed .
Why ?
Best regards
Rainer

probably the starnet module. you can remove it from /Applications/PixInsight/bin/ - it is called StarNet-pxm.dylib

however, the RAW file handler appears to be incompatible with 10.13, so unless you upgrade to 10.14 at least, you won't be able to open DSLR files in PI.

rob

Hello Rob , thank you for the reply, i cannot upgrade to 10.14 Macbook pro mid 2010 !
May be i will downgrade to PI 1.8.5 ? , i will try to remove starnetmodule .
Best regards Rainer . No good version for users as i am ; (((

that is too bad... but yes, you can remove the starnet module and PI -6 should start OK.

Hi. I have the same issue with macOS Catalina 10.15.6, so it seems it's not only a High Sierra problem. Have removed the file StarNet-pm.dylib and now it works again, but I don't know if it's a necessary file to operate. Hope a fix is coming soon. Thank you

hmm... the starnet module should be fully compatible with 10.15.6. anyway if you remove it then you just won't be able to run starnet, which is a neural-net based star removal program. otherwise PI should work OK (but parts of darkarchon's EZ processing suite won't work)

The StarNet module is compatible with macOS 10.15, as is the entire PixInsight platform. The reported issue must have a different machine-specific cause. It cannot be reproduced, hence it cannot be fixed.

I have reinstalled from scratch the system and it crashes just the same. It have been working until the previous version perfectly, so may some modifications have been made to this module. I include the whole crash report to help to clarify the situation if possible. Until that I would have to remove the StarNet module [ I have seen that the file StarNet-pxm.dylib was created/modified on August 24th, so may be the improvement made to this module is the reason it force PixInsight to crash in some systems ]

Attachments

• Cras Report 2.pdf
    177.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Model: MacPro5,1, BootROM 144.0.0.0.0, 8 processors, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2,66 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 1.39f5

the CPU in this machine lacks the vector instructions that tensorflow needs to run. the tensorflow library being distributed with PI seems to need AVX2 and FMA instructions which the Core Xeon doesn't have.

if the prior tensorflow library you had worked on your machine, then one possibility is to delete the tensorflow dylibs from the pixinsight application folder and then copy the old tensorflow dylibs to /usr/lib. however it's not clear that PI will look in /usr/lib to find the tensorflow libraries. anyway it is worth a try.

rob

Model: MacPro5,1, BootROM 144.0.0.0.0, 8 processors, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2,66 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 1.39f5

the CPU in this machine lacks the vector instructions that tensorflow needs to run. the tensorflow library being distributed with PI seems to need AVX2 and FMA instructions which the Core Xeon doesn't have.

if the prior tensorflow library you had worked on your machine, then one possibility is to delete the tensorflow dylibs from the pixinsight application folder and then copy the old tensorflow dylibs to /usr/lib. however it's not clear that PI will look in /usr/lib to find the tensorflow libraries. anyway it is worth a try.

rob
After erasing the StarNet module and running the latest updates for PixInsight 1.8.8.6 ( including a StarNet version signed on August 22nd ) it's working fine again. I will check what you are proposing in case the crashes return. Yes, it's an old computer but runs even faster than many current ones because I have done some improvements over the years, except the Xeons

Same here, Mac Pro 5,1, PixInsight 1.8.8.6 fresh install crashed on start, removed StarNet-pxm.dylib, ran PixInsight and applied updates, put back StarNet-pxm.dylib, everything is ok again. Part of the update was "StarNet Neural Network Weights Databases - 2020/08/22 Release" which might have fixed it.

Same here also. Mac Pro 5,1 Mojave and PI 1.8.8.6 would not start cleanly until the move of StarNet file. Did updates, put it back and seem to be running. The Mac Pro is a 12 Core 3.33 with the latest Video Card...

The StarNet module is compatible with macOS 10.15, as is the entire PixInsight platform. The reported issue must have a different machine-specific cause. It cannot be reproduced, hence it cannot be fixed.

Juan.. Has to be something for this many people to be hitting the same thing and have the same workaround get it running again?

As noted above, this cannot be reproduced. I wouldn't say this problem is being reported by many users, since no other users have reported it outside this forum thread.

PixInsight 1.8.8-6 for macOS runs out-of-the-box on compatible machines and macOS 10.14 and 10.15. PixInsight 1.8.8-6 is not compatible with macOS 10.13 and older versions. On old machines using processors without AVX2 and FMA instruction support, the /Applications/PixInsight/bin/StarNet-pxm.dylib file must be removed. Besides that, none of the issues that you are describing can be reproduced.

Back again Juan on this topic (sorry). I got past the issue of PI not starting by moving the Starnet module (then moving back). Finally got around to wanting to use it.. It's not under ETC and when I go to Manage Modules and do a Search (recursive or not), PI blows up out of the water. A portion of the message error for the dump sent to Apple.. I'm up to date on both Mojave and PI..

Application Specific Information:
/Applications/PixInsight/bin/libtensorflow_framework.2.dylib
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type pcl::EUnixIllegalInstructionException

Jay S.

Back