PixInsight 1.8.8-10 Released

how so? I've used LPS consistently for many images without issue over the past 6 months.

Bug has been confirmed by Juan on windows and OSX. I have several friends who also have this issue (so this is not my computer(s)

Juan, if you can answer ?

I’m only capable of scratching the surface of this software but I love it and the upgrade has given me no issues.
Great work Juan and team, very much appreciated!

Hi Jaun,

The SS problem I mentioned above was either a glitch or has been fixed with the recent update (SS v1.6.1). Thanks either way. :)

I am sure this is a dumb question, but I'm a bit confused as to which indicates the best frame; a high or a low "PFS Signal Weight"?

So in the image is image Index 6 the best or worst frame? It certainly has the lowest star count, so I assume its the worst.

Thanks, Jim

Screenshot 2021-11-16 170458.jpg

The reported issues with the SubframeSelector process have been fixed with an update to version 1.6.1 of the SubframeSelector module.

As for image weights, the higher the better.

The reported issues with the SubframeSelector process have been fixed with an update to version 1.6.1 of the SubframeSelector module.

As for image weights, the higher the better.
Something a little curious--I had excellent success w/the new subframe selector playing with several data sets yesterday...however after doing the latest update this morning I ran another analysis and the frame that got the highest PFS signal weight was this frame that had a serious tracking error, which surprised me. Is this an outlier frame because of near-doubled stars? Just thought I'd run it past you.
Capture.JPG

The PSF weighting algorithm has not been designed to detect tracking errors or double exposures, as happens with this frame. Actually, the algorithm is quite robust to these errors. It will estimate the mean signal of the image from all detected stars, by fitting point spread functions and measuring the intensities of the pixels above the local background for each of them. The dimmest 'companion' of each 'double' star will be ignored by the PSF fitting process, although the double star images will probably contaminate each sample to a relatively small extent.

In other words, In general, PSF signal estimation cannot be used to detect these anomalies. To filter out these bad frames you should use other metrics, such as eccentricity for example, or visual inspection with the Blink tool.

The PSF weighting algorithm has not been designed to detect tracking errors or double exposures, as happens with this frame. Actually, the algorithm is quite robust to these errors. It will estimate the mean signal of the image from all detected stars, by fitting point spread functions and measuring the intensities of the pixels above the local background for each of them. The dimmest 'companion' of each 'double' star will be ignored by the PSF fitting process, although the double star images will probably contaminate each sample to a relatively small extent.

In other words, In general, PSF signal estimation cannot be used to detect these anomalies. To filter out these bad frames you should use other metrics, such as eccentricity for example, or visual inspection with the Blink tool.
Yes, I always blink my images as well--I think this is the only situation I've seen after re-running 5 old datasets that was not a perfect match between "best frame" and PSFSW. Overall I remain REALLY impressed with the new PSF implementation. Thanks for taking the time!

A nice set of additions!
Especially the NetworkService Module seems to be something I could utilize as soon as the docs are available for it.

The addition to embed the processing history into the XISF file is such a good idea. The XISF format is already a great format and adding the history to a finalized image to remember how an image was processed is perfect.
Thank you.

The addition to embed the processing history into the XISF file is such a good idea. The XISF format is already a great format and adding the history to a finalized image to remember how an image was processed is perfect.
Thank you.
I agree, this new feature is fantastic. Thank you @Juan Conejero !
I have already made PhotometricMosaic compatible with this, and I am currently adding the ability to NSG.

A nice set of additions!
Especially the NetworkService Module seems to be something I could utilize as soon as the docs are available for it.

I have just published an introductory document where I describe everything you need to start working with NetworkService:

Let me know if you need more information.

Hello everyone,
I must be missing something... I'm running the latest version of Pixinsight and WBPP on macOS 10.15.7.
I wanted to test out the new weighting method on my data but when using the default "PSF signal" in the "Subframe Weighting" section, the WBPPWGHT value is not written in the header of the xisf file.
If I chose "Weighting formula", it works as it used in the past and WBBWGHT is set, allowing me to use it when manually stacking, as it used to work in the past.
Is this behavior expected?

Yes, this is the expected behavior. When you select one of the new weighting methods (PSF Signal, PSF Power or SNR Estimate), the WBPP script does not generate weight keywords because they are not necessary, since all the required metadata is already included in the calibrated and registered frames. In other words, the ImageIntegration tool already knows how to calculate the weights if the data have been calibrated with the new version of PixInsight. Just leave ImageIntegration with its default PSF Signal weighting option (or select PSF Power / SNR estimate).

Just a word of caution: The SNR estimate method is sensitive to outliers, so always use it after verification with the SubframeSelector tool (read the announcement post for an introductory description).

Yes, this is the expected behavior. When you select one of the new weighting methods (PSF Signal, PSF Power or SNR Estimate), the WBPP script does not generate weight keywords because they are not necessary, since all the required metadata is already included in the calibrated and registered frames. In other words, the ImageIntegration tool already knows how to calculate the weights if the data have been calibrated with the new version of PixInsight. Just leave ImageIntegration with its default PSF Signal weighting option (or select PSF Power / SNR estimate).

Just a word of caution: The SNR estimate method is sensitive to outliers, so always use it after verification with the SubframeSelector tool (read the announcement post for an introductory description).
Excellent!.
Thank you Juan for the quick answer. Now I understand and it makes sense.
Great work!

In SFS 1.6.2 the amount of stars is shown in scientific notation. Can this be changed somewhere?

I have another question:

I've been using external PSFs for Deconvolution until now with good to great success.
My pixel scale is 1.88''/px and the PSFs came out pretty blocky. However, they worked fine with GlobalDark around 0.003.

With the new version, my PSFs look a lot more oversampled:

psf.jpg

This results in heavy ringing using my usual settings.
I haven't been able to replicate the nice results of earlier PI versions until now.

Nothing has changed in the Deconvolution tool for a long time, so the cause of the changes you are observing must be elsewhere. On the other hand, the performance of a PSF image does not depend on how you see it represented on the screen. It's its shape and dimensions what matters.

Back