PixInsight 1.8.8-10 Released

Confirmed. Somehow signing with our corporate Apple certificate failed. I am preparing a new update for macOS.

Problem solved. Please install the new update for macOS that I have just released. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks Rob for this information. I can indeed get StarNet to work, but when I first tried it after updating to .10, I got a red warning in the process console ending in Failed, I think, and nothing happened. I tried again; again nothing. Because I had read Juan's advisory note about pre-2013 Intel processors and M1 processors, and seeing in About my Mac that I have a MacBook Pro mid-2012 with a 2.5 GHz DualCore Intel Core i5, a pretty lowly beast, I didn't expect it to work. And, in those first attempts, it didn't, which led to my post above.

Since that post, I have restarted my machine for other reasons and have restarted PI .10 and now all is well. So it probably doesn't matter why it didn't work the first time. Maybe something in the way my process icons loaded or something--I have no clue. I hope I am only coming across as someone who gets a bit baffled by some of this stuff and not just a cranky old fart. Which my kids sometimes accuse me of being. But I'm not.

i think possibly the process had lost track of the weights files. if you have problems again, click the little wrench and make sure that both weights files are properly specified in the dialog box that pops up.

rob

Thanks Rob. I did check that the weights files were in the library and that they showed up in the StarNet process window before trying it those first two failed attempts. Again, not sure what fixed my problem, but it is working fine. In fact I am writing this while it is chugging away in the background.

Hi when using the new version today I got messages saying that Pixinsight wanted to “Record” the session. Then it asked for access to my documents folder then my download folder! This is worrying as I have never seen these requests before. Running 1.8.8-10 on Mac OS big Sur. I was not connected to the internet but this looks virus/ hack related. I will delete Pixinsight nd download again. Any advice please

thanks for this new version
Unfortunately LinearPatternSubtraction script is not corrected since a long time (6 months)
still error when processing an image.
Hi @CCD1024

would you be able to provide some sample images with which you experience the issue? I tested LPD + LPS and it works fine on my very last PI 1.8.8-11 installation.

Robyx

Hi @CCD1024

would you be able to provide some sample images with which you experience the issue? I tested LPD + LPS and it works fine on my very last PI 1.8.8-11 installation.

Robyx

Hi Robyx
I will provide you an image
I tested with 1.8.8.11 but same error (on OSX at least)
In fact, I think I was succesful only the 1st time I tested. After, I got the error.
I will tell you more details
Thanks

Hi when using the new version today I got messages saying that Pixinsight wanted to “Record” the session. Then it asked for access to my documents folder then my download folder! This is worrying as I have never seen these requests before. Running 1.8.8-10 on Mac OS big Sur. I was not connected to the internet but this looks virus/ hack related. I will delete Pixinsight nd download again. Any advice please

viruses and/or hacks are extremely, extremely unlikely. juan has signed all the binaries in the PI bundle with his apple signing certificate and it's impossible to modify the code without invalidating the signature. the OS won't load a program or library with an invalid signature.

you've probably never seen those requests before because they are new features in Big Sur. i've seen PI ask to 'control' the computer and have apparently suffered no ill effects from denying the request. this is likely some UI thing that Qt (the user interface software that PI uses) thinks it needs, but again it seems fine without that permission. as for the access to the disk, well, it probably does need access to those folders. if you have any projects or other PI files in either place, PI will try to open the directory which triggers the OS to ask the user for permission.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i did upgrade to Big Sur and Pixinsight was the first programme i re-installed. Sorry for the panic! Paul

Hi @CCD1024

Robyx

Hi Robyx
I could give you any images...
I was last weekend with my astronomy association and many users have Pixinsight (Windows, OSX)
ALL users have this message with any of their images since 1.8.8.8
Images are (monochrome) linear XISF 32 bits (but also tested with 16 bits non linear)

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-12-12 à 10.25.57.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2021-12-12 à 10.25.57.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
When i use LinearPatternSubtraction (LPS), i run before LPS the Script "LinearPatternDetection" on an unregistered(!) stacked File. This creates a Defectfile that contains the info which columns should be corrected later on by LPD. This is the filename you have to put into your LPS Windows in Defects File: .
Your screenshot shows this field as empty. I dont know how this should work. Never tried it this way...
Hope this helps.
Gerald

When i use LinearPatternSubtraction (LPS), i run before LPS the Script "LinearPatternDetection" on an unregistered(!) stacked File. This creates a Defectfile that contains the info which columns should be corrected later on by LPD. This is the filename you have to put into your LPS Windows in Defects File: .
Your screenshot shows this field as empty. I dont know how this should work. Never tried it this way...
Hope this helps.
Gerald

thanks but I used many times this script on 1.8.8.7 as it and worked like a charm. Without the detect file, the correction is global only as the goal is also to make 1 pass on final stacked image to remove residual traces of columns.

Back