PixInsight 1.6.9 - 32-bit and 64-bit: Two independent Applications

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
Starting from this release, the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of PixInsight are two completely independent applications on all supported platforms. This means that PixInsight-x86 and PixInsight-x86_64 can be installed on the same machine without interfering each other. They can also be executed at the same time without problems, and each one receives and installs its own updates independently.

The configuration files for the 32-bit and 64-bit applications are obviously different now, contrarily to previous versions. The conversion from the old configuration scheme to the new one is completely automatic and transparent, and is carried out the first time PixInsight 1.6.9 is executed.

This feature is particularly useful for developers. PixInsight modules can now be developed for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures more easily from a single user account.

This separation between architectures is also very important on Mac OS X. The reason is that the only Tier-1 release of PixInsight for Mac OS X continues being the 32-bit version, while the 64-bit version, although it has been significantly improved in PI 1.6.9, still has a few GUI issues and glitches that slightly reduce its usability. You can now run both versions on the same Mac, enjoying the GUI performance and perfection of the 32-bit version while the 64-bit version allows you to process huge images making use of all available memory much more efficiently.

TwoVersionsMacOSX.png

Cool! I think :) Still trying to digest what this means from a users perspective. I see the benefit for development though so I applaud that!

But they cannot sit side by side in the Mac Applications folder. I tried creating another folder within the apps folder and installed the 32 bit version in that. However, I then get stuck in a continuous loop of downloading the documentation upgrade.

Regards
Dave

Hi Dave,

For compatibility reasons the PixInsight application bundle must have the "PixInsight.app" file name for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you want to have both versions installed on /Applications, please do the following:

- With Finder, open your personal Library folder ($HOME/Library) and look for a Library/PixInsight subfolder. On this folder you'll find PixInsight32.plist and PixInsight64.plist. Move both files to trash. This will perform a reset of all settings the next time you launch the PixInsight Core applications.

- If you want to preserve your original settings (pre-1.6.9), then don't remove the PixInsight.conf file that you probably have on $HOME/Library/PixInsight. If you want to perform a complete reset to all factory-default settings, then remove this file too, if you have it.

- On your /Applications folder, create two sub-folders: PixInsight32 and PixInsight64. Then Copy the 32-bit version of PixInsight.app to /Applications/PixInsight32 and the 64-bit version to /Applications/PixInsight64. In this way you can have both versions under the /Applications folder without problems. You can add both versions to the dock because they have different icons. Please copy the original application bundles that you downloaded from our website, not any bundle where you have performed software updates.

Now you'll receive an update for each application (the documentation snapshot) only once.

Let me know if it works well this way.

Hi Juan,

Thank you for your reply. I've done as you said, deleted plist and then made two separate folders in the Application folder. I managed to install the 32 version and get it running. But the 64 bit version got stuck in the endless loop of downloading the documentation files and installing them.

So, I deleted the 32 version. I then moved the 64 bit back into the apps folder and opened it. It then went thorough each module and told me that they were not available. I reinstalled the 64 bit version a couple more times and each time, it told me that the modules were not available. On the last try, I clicked OK on each of the dialogue boxes. PixInsight was running and the modules do appear to be in place, well that's what it says in the processing console.

I hope that makes sense.

Dave

Dave,
I was running into a similar problem.  What I had done was I created two folders in Applications.  PI32 and PI64.  When I did this, the updates did not work.  So, I changed the folder names to PixInsight32 and PixInsight64 and placed the appropriate apps in there.  That is when I got the plug-in errors.  However, those errors go away if I delete the .plist file.

Bottom line, using the PixInsight32 and PixInsight64 folder naming convention is working for me.  I have both apps running and they are now receiving updates.

Dave H.

Dave H,

Thank you for that, I'll give another go.

Dave

hutchtx said:
Dave,
I was running into a similar problem.  What I had done was I created two folders in Applications.  PI32 and PI64.  When I did this, the updates did not work.  So, I changed the folder names to PixInsight32 and PixInsight64 and placed the appropriate apps in there.  That is when I got the plug-in errors.  However, those errors go away if I delete the .plist file.

Bottom line, using the PixInsight32 and PixInsight64 folder naming convention is working for me.  I have both apps running and they are now receiving updates.

Dave H.

Back