PixInsight 1.5: Prerelease Information

Hi Juan

I told my wife that I had some urgent software testing to do this weekend ;D  , Now She says I can paint the conservatory instead :sad:

Not to worry though Absence makes the heart Fonder  :)

Regards Harry

Harry  In all fairness to the wife I hope you put in the same time on the Conservatory as you would have with the software testing<G>.

Hi there! Still alive! ;D

PixInsight 1.5 is now available for Linux and Windows, Core and PCL packages, 32-bit and 64-bit versions, at the software distribution interface:

http://pixinsight.com/dist/

Look for files uploaded on May 12 and May 13.

Unfortunately, the Mac OSX version is not yet available. I'm having a lot of problems with Qt 4.5.1 on Mac OSX (I really hate to say this, but 4.5.1 for OSX is one of the worst versions of Qt I've ever seen -- yes, all the examples work fine, but a complex app. like PI is just unusable when compiled with Qt 4.5.1). Tomorrow I'll work hard to get all problems fixed, but if I can't achieve a usable application I'll revert PI 1.5 to use Qt 4.4.3 on Mac OSX, which works like a charm. However, this means that we'll have no 64-bit version for Mac OSX... at least not for now :'(

Anyway, tomorrow PI 1.5 will be officially announced. This notice is a courtesy toward you PI Forum members ;)

Hope you'll like it. PI 1.5 isn't everything I intended it to be, but I think it's quite good. Enjoy! 8)

Juan  Thanks for all your hard work.  Hope the Mac OS system works out but either way I will be happy.

Congratulations Juan !!

Looking forward to downloading and testing the latest version.

One thought - in my deBayer script, should I 'get rid of' all the v1.4 'workarounds', or should I introduce code to detect the 'version' of the PI 'core', and introduce "if ( version_xxx ) { ... } else { ... }" code ?

Obviously, what I now need to do is to make sure that I don't over-write my scripts when I install the new version - now that really would leave me mad !!!!!

Cheers

Congrats Juan ;)

Niall Saunders said:
One thought - in my deBayer script, should I 'get rid of' all the v1.4 'workarounds'

That's what I've done in the past, when the Settings class was added to the JS engine. Updated my script and marked it as "Requires at least PixInsight version 42".

Hi David, thanks for that.

Unfortunately, I will now have to wait until I get back to my main PC before I can look at the 'Settings' class options - do you have a sample code snippet at hand that you could upload?

What I need is for Juan to compile v1.5 for the iPhone, so that I can edit and test my scripts 'on the move' !!!

Any chance Juan? After all, you seem to be becoming a 'Grand Master' of Apple Operating Systems  ::)  ::)  ::) (or, as we Windoze users like to refer to them, "Smoke and Mirrors - OS" !)

Cheers,

Thank you all!

One thought - in my deBayer script, should I 'get rid of' all the v1.4 'workarounds', or should I introduce code to detect the 'version' of the PI 'core', and introduce "if ( version_xxx ) { ... } else { ... }" code ?

In theory everybody should be using v1.5 within a few weeks on all platforms, so you could just replace the workarounds with new code. Anyway you can use conditional directives:

Code:
#iflt __PI_VERSION__ "01.05"
// ... code for v1.4.x
#endif

Obviously, what I now need to do is to make sure that I don't over-write my scripts when I install the new version - now that really would leave me mad !!!!!

Of course!!! To everybody: On Windows, always save your scripts on a folder OUTSIDE your PI installation. That is, on a folder NOT UNDER C:\PCL (or your installation folder if you changed the default setting on installation). The reason is obvious: the Windows installer ERASES the whole PI installation folder before installing a new version. The uninstaller also erases the previous version completely. And of course, always make backup copies of your scripts.

So Niall, the first thing you should do when you get back to your computer is to make backup copies of all your scripts before installing v1.5.

What I need is for Juan to compile v1.5 for the iPhone, so that I can edit and test my scripts 'on the move' !!!

Hahaha, that's just what I need: another platform  :laugh:  :eek:

(or, as we Windoze users like to refer to them, "Smoke and Mirrors - OS" !)

Despite they will never publicly acknowledge it, all windozers dream of something like the Aladdin lamp effect on their Vistas and XPs >:D Do you agree, Sander?  ;D

Well, after an "interesting, so to say" morning trying to crack Qt 4.5.1, I finally have reverted PI 1.5 on Mac OSX to use Qt 4.4.3. This means that we have no 64-bit version for the Mac with this release. Sad, but despite that, PI 1.5 x86 works extremely well on OSX. It's definitely my favorite version (and it's a Linux super-addict who's telling this).

The installation files for OSX are uploading right now, so the official release will happen this evening.

Of course, I'll keep trying to get Qt 4.5.1 working (reasonably, at least). It might be something in my code that is causing problems with the new Qt version, but the fact that the same code works without flaws on all versions of Linux and Windows says the contrary, loud and clear...

Niall Saunders said:
Unfortunately, I will now have to wait until I get back to my main PC before I can look at the 'Settings' class options - do you have a sample code snippet at hand that you could upload?

Settings is unrelated to your problem, it was just some additional info on when did I do that ;).

Anyway, for sample code, look at the MaskedStretchTransform script, which is included in PixInsight for a couple of versions now.

Of course!!! To everybody: On Windows, always save your scripts on a folder OUTSIDE your PI installation. That is, on a folder NOT UNDER C:\PCL (or your installation folder if you changed the default setting on installation). The reason is obvious: the Windows installer ERASES the whole PI installation folder before installing a new version. The uninstaller also erases the previous version completely. And of course, always make backup copies of your scripts.

This is not quite correct, fortunately. On this machine modules were being developed under \pcl and after installing 1.5 the sources are still there. I always stick my changes in CVS before wrapping up for the day so even if things had gotten blown away I would have been fine. At the same time uninstallers should NEVER touch files they didn't put there themselves. Just doing an rm -rf /pcl is out of the question.

Now to recompile my modules.

Hi Juan

Thanks for the new version , looks very cool 8)

You might have to give us a hint on some of the new features ???

Regards Harry

Juan  This is spectacular.  Have played with a cople of tools and am really impressed.  Using the Mac OS ver.  THe Color Calibration tool with a singe click really improved one of my old images!  I have not been able to see the changes in the histogram tool when I am using Curves and Preview.  I move the curve and I see the preview smoothly change but no change on the histo tool?

Also the ability to have live preview on the wavelets is going to be very powerful letting you dial in the amounts in real time!  Really COOOL!

By Jove I've Got it!  Thanks and a really cool tool.

BTW how did the painting of the conservatory work out<G>

Hi Jack

Some very nice tools indeed ( Ok juan no need for log stretch in the STF)

Did I mention I have not finished building it yet, For some reason my wife wants some glass in it ! :D

regards Harry

Back