PI not recognizing my flats?

Terry Danks

Probably doing something wrong here but, all of a sudden, PI seems to not recognize my flats?

Flats Problem1.JPG

Proceeding yields this after allowing the process to run . . .i.e., master flat "None" as opposed to an integrated master for each of the R, G and B channels.

Flats Problem2.JPG
Flats Problem1.JPG
Flats Problem2.JPG

there is probably something wrong in the FITS header of your flats - the way BPP/WBPP matches lights and flats is by looking at the filter name. for instance, if the flats have a filter name of "B" and the lights "Blue" they probably won't match.

you can overcome this by using Add Custom and setting the file type to flat, and then entering whatever filter name and binning the lights have.

rob

Right... there is something going on in the header. This doesn't appear to be a matching problem (though that will follow)- note that the flats are not being grouped by Filter name at all! That is a definite problem. So... I think seeing the FITs header would be in order! The "smart" file name thing perhaps would have worked if "filter" appeared in the file name... then it would have grouped by "B", "G" etc...
-adam

Thanks Rob and Adam. I checked the FITS header of the individual flat frames and definitely filter is showing as "none." I must have screwed this up when generating them. Not quite sure how I did that yet.

Is there any utility that allows me to change the filter name without doing it one flat frame at a time?

i think there are some scripts that have been posted in the forum to do batch changes to fits headers, but i'd have to search.

however, i think it should not be too bad to use "add custom" just this one time. you don't have to add each flat individually - but you have to do the process 3 times, once per filter. if you can search in the file explorer/finder to only find the flats for a given filter it should go pretty quickly.

rob

Thanks once more, Rob.
Been wrestling with getting a new computer up & running these past few days. Hence the tardy response. The "add custom" trick got me out of this one but left me puzzled as to what had gone wrong in the first place. Thought it best to generate new flats. As soon as I opened the SGP flats wizard to do that, yep, it became clear.:( I had attached the proper suffix to the files, and named them as being flats, but I did NOT define the filter name. Hence the "none" for filter in the fits.

Back