PI always crash when STF

sungcs

On PI 1.8.8-7, it is always crash when STF any stacked image.

Not every time to have STF will crash, but always, this is really an annoying experience and not too sure how to fix it.

I tried to downgrade to PI 1.8.8-6 to redo WBPP, Staralignment and Imageintegration, then STF, no crash.

But if I use PI 1.8.8-6 to STF the XISF file from 1.8.8-7, it just slow then error for no STF at all, looks like XISF is not downward compatible.

However, PI 1.8,8.6 has no NBRGBcombination, so it is in the middle of nowhere.

I am using MacOS Big Sur 11.1 and not too sure this is the issue with PI 1.8,8-7 with MacOS 11.1.

The error message after PI crashed :

Process: PixInsight [1026]
Path: /Applications/PixInsight/PixInsight.app/Contents/MacOS/PixInsight
Identifier: software.pleiades.PixInsight
Version: 1.8.8-7 (1.8.8-7)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: PixInsight [1026]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-12-30 22:51:56.432 +0800
OS Version: macOS 11.1 (20C69)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 5.1 (18P3030)
Anonymous UUID: C03E96D5-7F1F-F935-42EB-D23E758ED82E

Time Awake Since Boot: 480 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 36 pi::APIThread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007fb3587c0000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x7fb3587c0000:
Stack 70001556e000-700015d70000 [ 8200K] rw-/rwx SM=COW thread 18
-->
MALLOC_MEDIUM 7fb6b8000000-7fb6b8800000 [ 8192K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Application Specific Information:
abort() called
terminating with uncaught exception of type pcl::EUnixSegmentationViolation

This cannot be reproduced on any supported platform, on any of our working and testing machines.

Please provide an image where this issue can be reproduced. This is the only way we can analyze and eventually solve a problem.

This cannot be reproduced on any supported platform, on any of our working and testing machines.

Please provide an image where this issue can be reproduced. This is the only way we can analyze and eventually solve a problem.
Thanks for getting back, but the file is over 100Mb and not able to upload in here; please see below Google drive link is working, and also attached the crash info details.

XISF file that hit PI 1.8.8-7 STF crash every time

I tested the same file in another Mac, it is also with MacOS 11.1 and PI 1.8.8-7, same crash when STF.... :cry:

Bug confirmed, thank you for uploading the image. This problem only happens:
  • With the macOS version of PixInsight 1.8.8-7. This problem does not exist on Linux and Windows.
  • When the image is in unsigned 32-bit integer format.
Workaround: Convert the image to 32-bit floating point format or, if really necessary, to 64-bit floating point format.

This is an extremely weird bug. I am almost sure that this is a bug in Apple's clang C++ compiler.

I'll try to find a way to avoid this problem as soon as possible. Fixing this bug requires a new release of the entire PixInsight platform, including the core application and all modules. However, since the repercussion of this bug is limited to just a few corner cases (because working with 32-bit integer images is not at all usual practice), I'll leave it for the next version. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks, I reopened the same XISF file, used 32-bit floating point saved but STF still crashed, and redo with 64-bit floating, now it is working fine.

I have few set of images with this problem and will try this one-by-one, thanks for your prompt response.

No, you don't need 64-bit floating point. If you use the SampleFormatConversion tool to convert the image to 32-bit floating point format (default parameters), STF works perfectly.

Im experincing exactly the same issue, crashed every time on STF. If I downgrade from 1.8.8-7 to 1.8.8-6 it works fine every time. This is Mac OS too

No, you don't need 64-bit floating point. If you use the SampleFormatConversion tool to convert the image to 32-bit floating point format (default parameters), STF works perfectly.

Yes, I am using 32-bit floating and this works fine, no more crash for STF.

Im experincing exactly the same issue, crashed every time on STF. If I downgrade from 1.8.8-7 to 1.8.8-6 it works fine every time. This is Mac OS too
May consider to save the file as 32-bit floating as suggested by PI team apart from downgrade to 1.8.8-6.

I have moved back to 1.8.8-7 after the use of 32-bit floating and it works fine so far.;)

Please don't report a bug that has already been reported and confirmed. See my answer above.

This bug will be fixed in the next version of PixInsight. It only affects the macOS version with 32-bit integer images, and can be easily avoided by converting the image to 32-bit floating point format.

Back