PhotometricMosiac 2.0

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
This is a significant update of the PhotometricMosaic script.
The script is attached. The help files:

Some of the improvements include:
  • Using the pidoc format for the Help html file. The help has been rewritten from scratch.
  • Updated the script to use PixInsight's SurfaceSpline to model the relative gradient between the reference and target images.
  • The graphs now display smooth curves instead of line segments
  • The graphs are now interactive, allowing the user to zoom (mouse wheel) and display the mouse coordinates in the title bar (left click), or save as a PixInsight view (right click).
  • Graph.js is a reusable component for displaying graphs. You may use this in your own projects, and if you wish, copy it and modify it. I only ask that you credit me when you do so.
  • Followed Juan Conejero's advice to significantly improve the image samples read / write performance.
  • Updated the user interface to use SectionBar
  • And many more improvements...
PhotometricMosaicQuickStart.png

GradientGraphOk2.png

I would like to thank the Basingstoke Astronomical Society (UK) for reading through the help and testing the script. I will also be testing the script over the next few weeks.

Hope you find the script useful, and please provide feedback on any problems encountered.
Thanks
John Murphy

Attachments

Last edited:

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
I have attached the uncompiled source for the PhotometricMosaic help file. I have not done anything complicated, so you may find it useful as an extra example on how to get started with the pidoc system.

Attachments

avan1

Feb 15, 2011
just install the script and test with my M33 mosaic

but trim mosaic tile keep reporting error , any idea ?trimMosaisErr1b.jpg

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
just install the script and test with my M33 mosaic

but trim mosaic tile keep reporting error , any idea ?
Hi Avan
Thanks for testing the script. All feedback is very useful.
I can reproduce this error in PixInsight version 1.8.8-4, but not in the current version (1.8.8-5).
The script uses some of the newest features within PixInsight, and hence requires the latest version.
I will update the script to check the PixInsight version. It should warn the user if the version is too old.
Thanks
John Murphy

Last edited:

rakla

Dec 17, 2018
Switzerland
ko-fi.com
Hi John,
thanks for the updated script. I followed the suggested workflow for a recent 4 panel mosaic of the IC1396 region in HOO and it worked like a charm.
/Ralf

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
Hi John,
thanks for the updated script. I followed the suggested workflow for a recent 4 panel mosaic of the IC1396 region in HOO and it worked like a charm.
/Ralf
Hi Ralf
Thanks for the feedback. I am very pleased to hear it is working well.
Regards, John

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
The attached MosaicScripts.zip file contains:
  • PhotometricMosaic 2.1 (Updated to warn if the PixInsight version is too old)
  • TrimMosaicTile 1.1 (Updated to include PixInsight Reference Documentation)
  • SplitMosaicTile 1.1 (Updated to include PixInsight Reference Documentation)
The help zip:

Installation instructions:
Unzip the attached MosaicScripts.zip file. Save the JohnMurphy folder anywhere you wish.
Then, in PixInsight, use 'SCRIPT > Feature Scripts...' and then in the 'Feature Scripts' dialog box, press the 'Add' button and select the JohnMurphy folder. It should find the three scripts.

To install the help files, unzip 'PhotometricMosaicHelp.zip' to '[PixInsight]/doc/scripts/PhotometricMosaic'
For example, on Windows, the correct installation would include:
C:/Program Files/PixInsight/doc/scripts/PhotometricMosaic/PhotometricMosaic.html
C:/Program Files/PixInsight/doc/scripts/PhotometricMosaic/images/

Run the three scripts in the usual way:
SCRIPT -> Mosaic -> PhotometricMosaic

I am no longer using my website - it seems to get nervous about zip files that contain javascript :(

Attachments

Last edited:

sn2006gy

Jun 10, 2020
This is amazing, thank you for this!! saved me a *LOT* of time! Hopefully they get you incorporated into PI directly with auto updates ;)

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
This is amazing, thank you for this!! saved me a *LOT* of time! Hopefully they get you incorporated into PI directly with auto updates ;)
Hi Byron
Thanks for the feedback, I am very pleased to hear the script is working well.
The script appears to be stable - currently there are no known bugs, and no bugs have been reported yet. It also looks likely that this script will be included in future PixInsight releases - In the earlier thread for PhotometricMosaic 1.1, Juan Conejero said:

"Hi John,
Very nice! Thank you so much for this excellent contribution. Please let me some time to review your code. At any rate, I'd like to include this script in the official distribution, if you agree."
(Juan Conejero)

Regards,
John Murphy

Last edited:

jmurphy

Jun 13, 2010
I have just released PhotometricMosaic version 2.2
The script is attached. The updated help file link:

New in this version:
  • Fixes some display problems on high resolution screens.
  • The output displayed for: Detected stars, Photometry stars, Mask stars, Sample grid and Binned sample grid now use a scrolled window instead of creating a PixInsight view. This allows the user to scroll and zoom the image without leaving the script.
  • Many controls are now available in the dialog windows. The displayed graphics update as the controls are adjusted.
Installation instructions:
Unzip the attached MosaicScripts.zip file. Save the JohnMurphy folder anywhere you wish.
Then, in PixInsight, use 'SCRIPT > Feature Scripts...' and then in the 'Feature Scripts' dialog box, press the 'Add' button and select the JohnMurphy folder. It should find the three scripts.

To install the help files, unzip 'PhotometricMosaicHelp.zip' to '[PixInsight]/doc/scripts/PhotometricMosaic'
For example, on Windows, the correct installation would include:
C:/Program Files/PixInsight/doc/scripts/PhotometricMosaic/PhotometricMosaic.html
C:/Program Files/PixInsight/doc/scripts/PhotometricMosaic/images/

Run the three scripts in the usual way:
SCRIPT -> Mosaic -> PhotometricMosaic

GradientGraphTgtOverlay.png

PhotometryGraphOutlierFix.png

Samples.PNG

PhotometryStars.png

Attachments

Last edited: