*** PCL Win32 System Exception: [....] Access violation: invalid memory read operation at address - FIX

raf2020

Hello Guys,

While I have waited for my forum account activation I have struggled with the same issue which is pretty common as I can see as per this forum (even on newest Pix version 1.8.8.7). And I have found solution for this, at least in my case.

So problem seems to be related to memory management by Windows itself, by Pix or how some Windows libraries use it. For years I had Windows Page File turned off to speed up work of various software (during this period I have observed that some applications doesn't really like it and it dropped on performance even more).

So in my case simply turning on of Windows Page File has fixed this problem. To try it you should go to System > Advanced system settings > Advanced > Performance > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change > Let Windows pick the settings by itself (sorry, there could be some mismatches on translation as I have PL Windows).

In my case I have 16GB of RAM and this problem has appeared even if there was almost nothing opened in background so this definitely wasn't memory overload. Seems just some apps/libraries like page file to be turned on. If your page file is on and set to automatic I would recommend you to check free space on drive where it is stored (by default it is c:\).

Of course there is no any warranty it is applicable for all setups so you are trying it on your own risk.

Przechwytywanie.JPG

Hello and welcome to PixInsight Forum.

Thank you for the investigative work, which can undoubtedly be very useful to other Windows users. We'll bookmark your post for future references.

I have struggled with the same issue which is pretty common as I can see as per this forum (even on newest Pix version 1.8.8.7).

Fortunately, this is not a common issue, with just two similar reports since the 1.8.8-7 release. Please note that this problem has nothing to do with the well-known bug on Windows that we have fixed in version 1.8.8-7.

As you have cleverly discovered, this is not a bug in PixInsight. This is a Windows memory management issue, which manifests as soon as you put your system under some heavy pressure. ImageIntegration is the 'ideal' tool to achieve that. Actually, 16 GB of RAM can easily become insufficient if you are trying to process relatively large data sets. The recommended minimum is nowadays 32 GB on all supported platforms, and 64 GB to process huge sets composed by hundreds of high-resolution frames. As you recommend, memory paging becomes really necessary when the system starts to exhaust physical memory. Of course, this is not exclusive of Windows, although Windows is much more prone to generate weird problems under these circumstances than Linux and macOS.

Juan,

I too am experiencing this issue - Windows 10 pro, 16GB RAM. I was only using 5GB of RAM (as per taskbar) and was using the clone stamp tool on a SINGLE image. I beg to differ, at least in my instance, this is NOT a Windows memory management or performance issue. I have not stress tested the memory in my system, but it is less than a year old, and from a reputable manufacturer (Corsair). Whilst it is possible that the RAM may have a fault, no other application is crashing on my system. ONLY PixInsight is throwing up an error.

As noted in the other thread where you already have reported this problem—which is completely different and unrelated to what this thread's OP reported—, we are unable to reproduce this error with the CloneStamp tool. Please upload an image where this problem can be reproduced, so we can verify it.

Juan,

When ever I run Pixinsight and try EZ Processing Suite, EZ Decon Or run Starnet from Process <all Processes> when I check or run to create a star mask, Pixinsight gives this error, so I end up having to create a star mask using Pixinsight StarMask, and it gives the same Access Violation invalid memory read operation at address 0000000000000090.... but, it does create the mask instead of locking up EZ Decon (unrecoverable).

StarNet: Processing view: Ha_clone1

Restoring neural network checkpoint: C:/Program Files/PixInsight/bin/Starnet2_weights.pb

Processing 2925 image tiles: 0%

*** PCL Win32 System Exception: At address 00007FFBF1314FD9 with exception code C0000005 :

Access violation: invalid memory read operation at address 0000000000000090

*** Backtrace Information ***

================================================================================

0: RtlCaptureContext2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\PixInsight.exe at address: 0xF3931180

1: _NLG_Return2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140_1.dll at address: 0xEA291150

2: _NLG_Return2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140_1.dll at address: 0xEA291150

3: _NLG_Return2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140_1.dll at address: 0xEA291150

4: _NLG_Return2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140_1.dll at address: 0xEA291150

5: _CxxFrameHandler4 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140_1.dll at address: 0xEA294030

6: _chkstk in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0xF3932180

7: RtlRaiseException in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0xF38E1020

8: RtlRaiseException in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0xF38E1020

9: RaiseException in module: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll at address: 0xF1314F70

10: _NLG_Return2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\VCRUNTIME140_1.dll at address: 0xEA291150

11: RtlCaptureContext2 in module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll at address: 0xF3931180

12: RtlCaptureContext2 in module: C:\Program Files\PixInsight\bin\StarNet-pxm.dll at address: 0xF3931180

================================================================================

Reading swap files...

2338.986 MiB/s

<* failed *>

This cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. This is a machine-specific problem unless you can provide an image, data set or set of conditions to reproduce it consistently.

Besides this, please note that the scripts you are referring to are not part of the official PixInsight distribution.

Back