PCL: Comet Alignment module

Here are more image that show the problem ...

1. star alignment showing incomplete removal of comet path through the centre of the image.

2. resultant comet aligned image

3. simulation of how the final image might look with the current comet aligned image (what I don't want); and

4. simulation of where I want the comet to appear in the final image (with all the information above the comet retained (which currently is not))

Any ideas on how I can achieve it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
mike

Attachments

• integration-stars.jpg
    integration-stars.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 63
  • integration comet sigma 3 1.5.jpg
    integration comet sigma 3 1.5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 59
  • integration-stars x.jpg
    integration-stars x.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 60
  • integration-stars y.jpg
    integration-stars y.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70
Hi Mike, if I remember well you can select the image that will determine the final position of the comet, with the blue arrow (double click in the # section). This processing example may help.
Saludos,
Alejandro.

mikeoday said:
Does anyone know how I can force the tool (or another tool) to align the subs without cropping the information in the subs (ie. by enlarging the canvas to allow the alignment to proceed whilst retaining all of the information in the subs).
ImageContainer + Crop 200% to create black spaces around read pixels. ;)

Alejandro Tombolini said:
Hi Mike, if I remember well you can select the image that will determine the final position of the comet, with the blue arrow (double click in the # section). This processing example may help.
Saludos,
Alejandro.

Thanks Alejandro, I did not know that.  I've tried it and it does re-align the images to centre on the selected image.  Unfortunately though it does not enlarge the canvas to accommodate  all of the subs.  That is, the problem remains that the individual comet aligned subs are all still the original dimensions with the image content shifted (and the remainder filled with black) so I still miss out on a lot of data.

Cheers
Mike

NKV said:
mikeoday said:
Does anyone know how I can force the tool (or another tool) to align the subs without cropping the information in the subs (ie. by enlarging the canvas to allow the alignment to proceed whilst retaining all of the information in the subs).
ImageContainer + Crop 200% to create black spaces around read pixels. ;)

Thanks for that, yes the Crop tool worked :) 

In case anyone else is wondering about the details...

The Crop tool can also be used to increase the canvas size around the image.  The Image Container tool was also new to me and allows you to collect together all the images that you want before applying a tool to the whole collection as a single action.

Cheers
Mike

Hi,
I have a question on the Subctract operand image functionality.

this is what I did:

-star align my images
-crop my images
-run comet align and integrate a Comet Aligned image (very good)
-run again comet align module on star aligned (and cropped) frames, subtracting comet aligned image at each step.

The resulting files are not good bacause the operation digs to much in the data and the background is lost.
I have tried to replicate the operation in pixelmath and it seems that a "rescale" option can cure the problem.

is this step already included in the processing?
I couldn't check the final integrated star only image because re-aligning the comet image to star manually is painful.

Thank you very much,
Andrea

Hello.
I noted a little GUI problem in the CometAlignment process: when loading the file list with long file names, the list windows is missing the Horizontal Scroll bar and the file names are going "under" the right buttons and they also has their labels truncated (see screen shot attached).
Checking into the code I noted a comment that suggest that behavior is required.
I'm wandering why...
Any idea?

Attachments

• CometAlignmentScreeshot.png
    CometAlignmentScreeshot.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 53
Back