PCL: Comet Alignment module

NKV

Hello everyone.

There are many topics about Comet preprocessing. click, click, click... but I don't found any useful tools for automation.

So, I start writing the CometAlignment modul.

Please check Tutorial there.

Best regards,
Nikolay.

Version history:

v.1.0.0.0002
+ Support for RAW images. Note: while original MetaData unaccessible inside PI, I use FileLastModificationDate.
    For RAW images( which impossible to modify )  FileLastModificationDate equal to DATE-OBS + Exposure and equal to time when exposure ended. So FileLastModificationDate can be used if DATE-OBS FitKeyword and MetaData unavailable.

v.1.0.0.0003 Minor code improvements.
v.1.0.0.0004 BugFix: module skip all images if first Image disabled. fixed.
v.1.0.1.0001 + pixels/hour core movement parameter. BugFix: interpolation method was ignored - fixed.
v.1.0.2.0001 BugFix: process icon problem(impossible to load process icon) - fixed.
v.1.0.3.0001 PI 1.8 PCL2.0.
v.1.0.4.0001 BugFix: support for date format 'yyyy-mm-dd' and 'yyyy-mm-ddTHH:MM:SS'
v.1.2.0.0001 + Align CometIntegration to every target and subtract. with LinearFit and Normalization options.
v.1.2.1.0001 + Subtract StarIntegration from every target, and align result to Comet position.
v.1.2.2.0001 BugFix: support for Iris Software date format "DD/MM/YYYY" added.

Sources code for PI 1.8.3 PCL2.00.13.0689
v.1.2.2.0001

Bin v.1.2.2.0001
Lunux x64
Win x64

Attachments

• CometMovie.gif
    CometMovie.gif
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,848
  • Screenshot.JPG
    Screenshot.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 152
I am sitting here and looking at my comet frames from last night... and waiting for your script :)
No pressure ;)

Hi Nikolay,

nice work.
Unfortunately, Canon DSLR users don't have the DATE-OBS keyword in their fits files, as they seem not to be
implemented during RAW->Fits conversion.
I don't know if you are calculating with the fits header data (except maybe to get the files in the right order).
As a proposal : If there is no DATE-OBS header in the fits files, could you simply use the order of files, as the user
entered it ? DSLR Users also do a straight forward exposure sequence of 60 - 100 Files (and this is quite "crispy",
to enter the fitsheader by hand for each single frame or to spend lots of money for doing this with another application) ?

Just an idea ....

Christoph

Christoph Puetz said:
Unfortunately, Canon DSLR users don't have the DATE-OBS keyword in their fits files, as they seem not to be
implemented during RAW->Fits conversion.
Christoph, it's not my problem... it's RAW->Fits problem, so it's Juan problem ;)
Push Juan please. I push him every time when i do some thing in other astronomical software.
For example you can convert your RAW to Fits in MaximDL. Juan!!! Attention!!! :D

v.1.0.0.0002
+ Support for RAW images. Note: while original MetaData unaccessible inside PI, I use FileLastModificationDate.
    For RAW images( which impossible to modify )  FileLastModificationDate equal to DATE-OBS + Exposure and equal to time when exposure ended. So FileLastModificationDate can be used if DATE-OBS FitKeyword and MetaData unavailable.

Hi all,

so it's Juan problem

Problem? did I hear problem? Problem solved! :)

FileLastModificationDate equal to DATE-OBS + Exposure

Nice trick ;) The latest version of the DSLR_RAW module, which I have just released as an update, simulates DATE-OBS keywords (along with a few more ones), so this is no longer needed. Sorry for taking so long to solve this issue. Your module, as usual, is absolutely terrific.

Juan Conejero said:
The latest version of the DSLR_RAW module, which I have just released as an update, simulates DATE-OBS keywords (along with a few more ones), so this is no longer needed.
Cool! Thank you. OK, i will remove the feature.
In any case, the module is checked for FitKeyword. Therefore, the module will work with any version of DSLR_RAW. 8)

I?ve installed the module in C:\Archivos de programa\PixInsight\bin and reboot the pc, but when I open Pixinsight isn?t appear the "comet alignment" with other modules, like GradientMergeMosaic. Any help?

ugatza said:
I?ve installed the module in C:\Archivos de programa\PixInsight\bin and reboot the pc, but when I open Pixinsight isn?t appear the "comet alignment" with other modules, like GradientMergeMosaic. Any help?
Go to Process>Modules>Install Modules...> and Search in .../PixInsight/bin

Saludos. Alejandro.

Juan Conejero said:
I ask you, because I used StarDetection method from DynamicPSF module.
Can I open source code or not?

If you have used only the star detection routine, then yes, you can open it. In fact I'll probably open this and other parts of StarAlignment/DynamicPSF soon.
Thank you! I added link to sources in first post.

Best regards,
Nikolay.

Excellent module! Thank you.
Here is my first comet image ever
Garradd C/2009 P1 
L90-113-121-P1_c_ca.gif

Taken from city apartment, trough skyline window. 13x90 sec.

Hi Nikolay,
Thanks a lot for the script, it works as expected, and really easy and straightforward to use!
Very simple - but it saves hours of manual alignment! Great job! :)
Garradd as of Aug 25, 2011

Attachments

• Garradd_25_08_2011.jpg
    Garradd_25_08_2011.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Garradd_25_08_2011_RGB.jpg
    Garradd_25_08_2011_RGB.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 83
Hi Nikolay. My latest try to register images of Holmes was unsuccessfull. My set contains set of short exposures with core and set of long exposures with faint large coma. This second set also contains saturated core and I cannot register these images. Solution for me is to take one short exposure after the set of long exposures. Another possible sollution is to allow user enter velocities dx and dy obtained from other set of images. I think, that images taken in one or two hour have no problem with different speed.
Can you please update your module to allow manual entry for these two parameters? Thank you very much.
Tom?

Hi Nikolay.

I know this feature, but where is the center of my saturated core? This is extremely stretched image, where I want to find some feature to register. The central area was totaly saturated. I don't know, where to click. :)

Tom?

Attachments

• img013.png
    img013.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 60
Back