PCC - Saturation threshold

Also, for the moment I do have only one solution to solve some rather heavy vignetting in my scope, and that is cropping. On the most vignetted part my flats do not work at all. Too early to go in to more details (I am sabotaged by my desktop that keeps on crashing and destroying cpu and disks), but it does not work. Even not after viewing the interesting CMOS video's of Adam Block.

Not all vignetting can be corrected. Degree does matter- if the attenuation of light is great enough in the data/flats- it just doesn't work. This is a multiplicative correction. I say this not have seen an image... but there it is. lol

(one last try)...
No, it is not rare, in fact it is almost universal. I've never used a DSLR with 16 bit raw files (perhaps they exist, but they would be rare).
Many of the cameras used all the time by many Pixinsight users have 12 or 14 bit native output resolution. This is not rare; is is being handled by thousands of users every day.
Many users will use capture software to control their cameras (and other equipment). I use APT, but there are several alternatives. This software will usually output the image data, not in camera raw files, but in FITS format files, and will usually convert it to 16 bit integer resolution (by which I mean simply multiply the camera raw data by 4).
If you manually download raw files from your camera, you can load them into PI using raw format. In spite of some of the posts above, I don't believe there is any setting in the format explorer interface to request conversion of 14 bit raw input into 16-bit scaling. Certainly, when I read in my Canon CR2 14 bit raw files, they end up with the maximum value of 0.25, just like your files.
I have not noted before at what point PI normalizes these files. I one workflow I examined, it happened after registration; it will certainly happen after ImageIntegration. After normalization the maximum value will be ~1.0. If you really need to normalize earlier than this you can do it youself, but I've never needed to do it (and it looks as though the many many other PI users with 12 and 14 bit cameras manage without it too).

I do use NINA and it loads NEF files on my PC.

Now I am puzzled. According to the documentation ( https://nighttime-imaging.eu/docs/master/site/advanced/file_formats/fits/ ), NINA is capable of storing the frames in FITS format. I guess this is also true for DSLR or DSLM cameras. Otherwise you would loose nearly all of the meta data - this wouldn't make sense at all. So I encourage you to use FITS format. If it is unclear how to perform this setting, please ask at their forum.

Bernd

Nope, not possible, printscreen from options/imaging screen in NINA :
1618846151023.png

This is really strange. SGP allows you to choose, or save in both formats. Presumably this is due to the "raw converter" that is used by NINA.

Bernd

I presume.

It's free software that works wonderfully well on my stable laptop.

I do have a ASIAIR Pro too, it did not work with the Nikon Z7, I have tried Astroberry, it transformed in a CrashBerry. With NINA all goes smooth and fine, I'll stick to that for the moment.

Maybe I'll try ASIAIR Pro with the newer release and the new ZWO ZSI2600mc (16bit!!!), but that is even not sure. Nina and PHD2 work extremely well together, and with the multistar guiding its a dream.

Last edited:
OK, I guess it just means it reads 16 bit into NINA - but has no way of exporting it.
APT might not be free (but at less than 20€ it's not far from it), but at least it supports FITS from DSLR (at least from my DSLR).

Back