Opens as Greyscale 1:1 not RGB image

Daryl Thomson

Lately Pix has been opening final stacked single image as greyscale 1:1 light_NGC2070_180s_Filter_L_saved_etc[<*new*> from final RGB stacked image files. Yet previously, they have always been opened as RGB images. Camera used is a ZWO ASI294mc Pro. Checked these images in AstraImage, PS Elements15, and GIMP all opened as coloured images. What have I misssed or incorrectly changed in Pix without knowing?

if you are doing things manually, after calibration you need to run Debayer on the calibrated images, then register the debayered ones, then integrate the registered ones.

if using WBPP/BPP you need to make sure "CFA images" is ticked in the interface.

rob

The saved file being used, was previously stacked to give a saved image for processing at a latter time. It was then successfully processed in Pix to give a reasonable coloured image. On returning to this saved stacked image, recently, for improving the processing, that the greyscale image appeared. This was some 2 months apart, gone from same coloured image <new> to a greyscale <new> image. Please note that the saved image has been processed to a coloured image without issues. This stacked image has been calibrated, aligned, debayed etc and then saved. It is still my belief that the settings have somewhere changed in Pix processing not the batch stacking.

well can you post one of these images to a file hosting service and post the link here? what you are describing doesn't make sense - if the file has 3 planes and the data in each plane is indeed different then some color should be evident in the file upon stretching and satruation boost.

For me to continue processing a greyscale 1:1 image{<new> through to histogramtransformation and further to saturation becomes a waste of time when the initial image is greyscale. I'm aware that a RGB file has 3 channels/planes and the colour becomes evident on stretching and saturation. This will not appear for a greyscale image. To follow up, on the problem I decided to use canon EOS DSL camera to take some daylight subs with wide angle lens, a coloured landscape. Opened the single raw file in Pix and stretched which gave similarly a greyscale image. It was then I decided to open this landscape image in other photographic programs such as photoshop and Gimp. Both gave coloured images. Then progressed to AstraImage (raw) and Startools (Tiff file) with the landscape image, both displayed colour in the image. This eliminated the cameras as a problem and again left Pix as the unknown. I immediately opened Pix with the stacked fits file and without explanation the image appeared as a RGB file header. This amazed me completely as I had not changed any of the settings in Pix. I subsequently went onto further processing in Pix successfully. The problem vanished and leaving me confused as to where problem existed.
Thanks for your help and those who offered solutions.

if configured for "pure raw" the RAW file handler will open DSLR images as mono "color filter array" images. this is on purpose as 1) all digital images, even from an OSC like a DSLR are actually mono files, and 2) the only way to properly calibrate an OSC image is to open it in this way. only after calibration should the image be debayered, registered and stacked. so what you saw is entirely normal, and doesn't have anything to do with the problem with FITS files.

if you want PI to open your DSLR files as those other programs do, you have to open the RAW handler and click the "demosaiced RGB" button and then click OK.

Back