No running X11 composite manger has been detected.

Frank Paulic

Is this the reason I cannot open a .xisf file in PI Explorer? When I do, PI immediately shuts down. And when I open a .xisf file in Fedora KDE Plasma via Dolphin File Manager, the image appears in PI, but when I open a process, PI immediately shuts down.

When I open a process without image, PI immediately shuts down.

I opened a process, that didn't shut down. The Process Console notes the Critical Signal Backtrace when I opened the NewImage process. Again the Critical Signal Backtrace is shown when I closed the this process.

Also I get a warning for Risky Temporary Folder when I start PI.

Sometimes when restarting PI after what I described above I get a noticed about PI core application has crashed.

See attached for warning on Risky Temporary Folder, the Process Console showing the X11 composite manager not detected, the Critical Signal Backtrack and core crash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that I just installed PI on Fedora KDE Plasma the other day without any problems. The desktop hardware includes AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and 128 GB of DRAM.

I used the following code in Konsole for installation as instructed.

[fpaulic@fedora pi-install]$ tar -xf PI-linux-x64-1.8.9-1-20220518-c.tar.xz
[fpaulic@fedora pi-install]$ sudo ./installer

And the results after installing;

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PixInsight X11 UNIX/Linux installer / Core version 1.8.9-1 Ripley
Copyright (C) 2003-2022 Pleiades Astrophoto. All Rights Reserved
----------------------------------------------------------------------

PixInsight will be installed with the following parameters:

Source installation directory ... /home/fpaulic/pi-install/PixInsight
PixInsight core application ..... /opt/PixInsight
Application desktop entry ....... /usr/share/applications/PixInsight.desktop
Application icons directory ..... /usr/share/icons/hicolor
MIME type description file ...... /usr/share/mime/packages/PixInsight.xml
Create /bin launcher script ..... yes
Remove previous installation .... yes

==> Are you sure [yes|no] ? yes

Please wait while PixInsight is being installed...

* PixInsight installation completed.

Regards,
Frank

Attachments

• No Running X11 composite manager detected.png
    No Running X11 composite manager detected.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Risky Temporary Folders.png
    Risky Temporary Folders.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Critical Signal Backtrace.png
    Critical Signal Backtrace.png
    593.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Core crash.png
    Core crash.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Perhaps check that all drivers and service packs for Fedora have been updated to the latest version.

I installed all the system upgrades in Fedora. First I had to uninstall PI in order to upgrade. I reinstalled PI including its upgrade, and still have the same warning "No running X11 composite manger has been detected".

I assume all the drivers and service packs are included in the system upgrade.

The problems changed somwhat. Still I can't open an image in File Explorer, without PI shutting down.

Now when I open a .xisf file in Fedora KDE Plasma via Dolphin File Manager, the image appears in PI. And now I can open a Process without PI shutting down as before. But now I cannot move the Proccess's icon in the workspace, but I can move the image around.

Also when I move my mouse around the workspace, click on image or a Process, the Process Console opens up with;

*** PCL Unix Signal Handler: Critical signal caught (11): Segmentation violation
PixInsight 1.8.9-1 - Critical Signal Backtrace
Received signal 11 (SIGSEGV)
Module: /opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight(+0x17d5301) [0x55d4b960e301]

followed by many numbered red lines.

Using the Histogram Process, not only I can't move it in the work space, I can even operate it. All the buttons and drop downs are inoperable.

are you using the nouveau graphics drivers? those do not work, you'll need the vendor driver for your graphics card.

I'm new at all this. after poking around some more, this is what I found

Listed in OpenGL(EGL);
EGL driver name: nouveau

Listed in Window Manager;
X11
===
Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Vendor Release: 12201009
Protocol Version/Revision: 11/0
SHAPE: yes; Version: 0x11
RANDR: yes; Version: 0x14
DAMAGE: yes; Version: 0x11
Composite: yes; Version: 0x4
RENDER: yes; Version: 0xbnouveau graphics driver
XFIXES: yes; Version: 0x50
SYNC: yes; Version: 0x31
GLX: yes; Version: 0x0

It appears I have nouveau graphics drivers. Again I'm new at this. How would I install a vendor driver?

I could not download the file, ran into problems with X config not running.

On Fedoraproject forum I got advice to install the latest nvidia drivers through installing RPM fusion and that apperas to work. Attach is the latest driver.

nvidia drivers installed.png

After this was taken care of and I had to modified grub for boot, afterwards Fedora opened nicely.

Than I tried to open PI, still got the same warnings.

PI Problems.png

And the mouse (cursor) response was slow, especially opening File Explorer.

The biggest problem is downloading the latest packages. In order a package to download I had to keep moving the wireless mouse, if I don't, the download stops. Very hard to do on a large packages. Need to install 3 more.

hmm, not sure if PI is compatible with Wayland. is it not possible to install X11 on a fedora system anymore?

It does asks for it, with a warning;

No running X11 composite manger has been detected​

Again I uninstall PI and reboot. Fedora started slow (cursor), eventually ran normally. I restarted again and took Fedora an long time for login window to appear. The second restart, selected Fedora again in boot menu, the login window never appeared, screen blank. Thus I had to turn off the computer.

It does asks for it, with a warning;

No running X11 composite manger has been detected​

Again I uninstall PI and reboot. Fedora started slow (cursor), eventually ran normally. I restarted again and took Fedora an long time for login window to appear. The second restart, selected Fedora again in boot menu, the login window never appeared, screen blank. Thus I had to turn off the computer.

yeah, that's error is why i'm saying that you need X11 and not Wayland.

it really sounds like you need to start over with the linux install, and if there is a choice along the way for windowing systems, do not select wayland, but select X11 instead. then install the nvidia drivers, then install PI.

rob

yeah, that's error is why i'm saying that you need X11 and not Wayland.

it really sounds like you need to start over with the linux install, and if there is a choice along the way for windowing systems, do not select wayland, but select X11 instead. then install the nvidia drivers, then install PI.

rob
Thanks for the advice. After all of this I realized Federa and PI is like oil and water.

I decided to reconfigure my desktop, remove Fedora a the dual boot and go all in Windows 11.

Last edited:
Back