Nikon NEF problem

SmauG

Hello,
I was googling and searching this forum but I could not find an answer.

Yesterday I took some pics with my Nikon and wanted to process them in PI. But I was unable to open them (NEFs) so I've searched in google and found an advice to add to new repository (https://pixinsight.com/update-compat/1.8.8-1/), update, install, etc.
Ad it worked. I've dragged into PI around 20 NEF files and I have saved the project. DSLR_RAW appeared in my Format Explorer.

Today, after restarting PI, I am no longer available to open NEF files. I can load yesterday's project with NEFs inside and work on them, but I can not add new ones.
Also, there is no longer DSLR_RAW in my Format Explorer.
The new entry in repositories stays, but there is not new updates available for me.

I have asked a friend using PI and he said he is opening NEFs without any adding or changes. So I've sent him one of my files and he opened it without any problems.

So what can be wrong with my installation? PI - no updates available too. I'm using Mac, latest update. I have never changed anything in PI settings..

If there was a subject like this pleas help me finding it.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2020-07-2 o 14.53.39.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2020-07-2 o 14.53.39.png
    976.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Zrzut ekranu 2020-07-2 o 14.53.56.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2020-07-2 o 14.53.56.png
    807.8 KB · Views: 81
in /Applications/PixInsight/bin, there should be a file called "RAW-pxm.dylib". that is the library file that contains the RAW file handler.

if that is still there (sometimes antivirus programs remove dylibs it thinks may be malware), then you can first check under Process > Modules > Manage Modules and check if for some reason the RAW module is disabled and re-enable it. if it is not in the list of modules at all then you can go to Process > Modules > Install Modules, make sure the path is set to /Applications/PixInsight/bin at the top of the window, and then click "Search" and see if PI finds the module.

if RAW-pxm.dylib is no longer in /Applications/PixInsight/bin then probably the easiest thing to do is reinstall pixinsight.

rob

in /Applications/PixInsight/bin, there should be a file called "RAW-pxm.dylib". that is the library file that contains the RAW file handler.

if that is still there (sometimes antivirus programs remove dylibs it thinks may be malware), then you can first check under Process > Modules > Manage Modules and check if for some reason the RAW module is disabled and re-enable it. if it is not in the list of modules at all then you can go to Process > Modules > Install Modules, make sure the path is set to /Applications/PixInsight/bin at the top of the window, and then click "Search" and see if PI finds the module.

if RAW-pxm.dylib is no longer in /Applications/PixInsight/bin then probably the easiest thing to do is reinstall pixinsight.

rob
Sorry, it took me a while but I've missed your reply somehow :(

So there were no RAW module in Modules. I've searched for it and it was up there, one the list. However reinstalling module itself did not help, so I had to reinstall Pixinsight.
It works now, so thank you very much :)

The same problem. After installing the current version 1.8.8.8, the NEF files do not open. I found a couple of topics on the forums by searching, but nothing helps. Turning on and off the RAW module, reinstalling PIX, does not help, NEF files are not readable. In versions 1.8.8.6 and 1.8.8.7, the files were opened. Tell me what to do, where to run!?

a problem seen recently is that libRAW can't handle non-ascii characters in NEF pathnames. so check if you have the degree symbol or some other non-ascii characters in the pathname and try removing/replacing them.

rob

a problem seen recently is that libRAW can't handle non-ascii characters in NEF pathnames. so check if you have the degree symbol or some other non-ascii characters in the pathname and try removing/replacing them.

rob
Many thanks for the hint! I replaced the symbols, everything worked. The issue has been resolved, although there was no such problem earlier. Thank you, all the best!

it's something to do with the way libRAW was compiled this time, maybe juan can fix it in the next version of PI, not sure.

rob

Back