Newbie question re saving files

jackg

I feel like I'm missing something really fundamental.

If I open a .fit image the title bar reads something like:

RGB 1:4 ColorCalibration | ColorCalibration.fit

If I clone it it reads:
RGB 1:4 ColorCalibration | <*new*>

Which makes sense as the clone is not associated with a file. But if I then say file:save as, and give it a file name, the title bar does not change. The file does get saved under the new name, and if I open it the title bar does display the new name as expected. But shouldn't saving the image cause the cloned image's title bar to show the file name?

If I then attempt to close the cloned image PI warns that the image has been modified and is unsaved.

Also, even after saving the image, file:save is always grayed-out. You'd think saving a file would then allow one to do a file:save.

Thanks for your help!

I just tried the same and it all seemed to work fine. Did you save the original file, rather than the clone, by mistake by any chance?

I just tried the same and it all seemed to work fine. Did you save the original file, rather than the clone, by mistake by any chance?

I just retried it. This is using Windows, PI 1.8.9-1. An example I just tried that does not work:

I opened a file that was just the stacked image. Then I cloned it by dragging the opened file tab to the workspace (grey area). If I then SAVE:AS the title bar changes as expected. However, if I do an STF Stretch and SAVE:AS, the clone's title bar does not change.

Jack

Here's another case - it seems related to STF Autostretch:

I open an image and do an ABE. If I SAVE:AS the title bar changes to reflect the file name, as expected.

But if I open an image, do an ABE, and then an STF Autostretch, followed by a SAVE:AS, the title bar does not reflect the new file name. The file does get saved properly, though.

I figure this has got to be operator error but am stymied.

No bug at all here. This is PixInsight's strict file save mode.

In strict file save mode, when an image is saved to a disk file using a format unable to store all of the existing pixel data and metadata in the image, its modified state is not cleared and its associated file path is not set to the new location. For example, this happens when you save a modified image using a lossy generation scheme such as JPEG, or when a 32-bit floating point image is saved using a format unable to store floating point data, or when the format cannot stored all of the existing metadata in the image. In general, appropriate warning messages are written to the console in such cases.

Strict file save mode is enabled by default. You can disable it as follows:
  • Select Edit > Global Preferences from the main menu.
  • On the Preferences window, select the File I/O Settings section.
  • Uncheck Strict file save mode.
  • Apply the process globally (press F6, or click the blue sphere button).
However, disabling strict file save is not recommended in general.

Back