New Version 1.6.1 of the PixInsight Documentation Compiler Script

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
For developers --- I have just released version 1.6.1 of the documentation compiler script for all platforms. This version comes with lots of new features and improvements; among them:

* Automatic section numbering and symbolic referencing of sections, tables, figures, equations and bibliographic references.

* LaTeX equations and math fragments can be embedded in PIDoc source files. This is easier than ever with the new verbatim blocks feature.

* Improved automatic generation of interactive resources, such as mouseover image lists.

* Automatic syntax highlighting of source code blocks in the JavaScript, C++, XML, PixelMath and PIDoc languages.

* Collapsible sections for easier navigation of large documents.

* Unlimited nested subsections.

* New PIJSObjectDoc document class for documentation of JavaScript objects.

* The compiler generates fully standards compliant HTML5 / CSS3 documents that pass W3C validators with zero errors and warnings.

* Large documentation projects can now be structured as multiple .pidoc files thanks to the new \include command.

* New \pragma command to control most compiler features from PIDoc source code.

* The target documentation system is now remembered across script executions.

The documentation for the PIDoc markup language has also been updated to reflect the latest version:

http://pixinsight.com/doc/docs/PIDocReference/PIDocReference.html

Hope you'll like it!

Thanks, I will look at it soon.
Can the end user install a new doc (from example the doc of a script or process provided on GitHub) without requiring administrative rights ?
-- bitli

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the new features. I am using some of them now, they are working well. PIDoc really is a nice documentation environment, thank you for making it available.

Would a "Compile & Run PIDoc Document" command to the Script Editor be possible? It would open a browser window on the compiled document.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

PIDoc really is a nice documentation environment, thank you for making it available.

Thanks!

Would a "Compile & Run PIDoc Document" command to the Script Editor be possible? It would open a browser window on the compiled document.

Definitely yes, I am missing this feature too, especially these days since I'm working a lot on complex documents (XISF). I'll try to implement this in the next version.

bitli said:
Thanks, I will look at it soon.
Can the end user install a new doc (from example the doc of a script or process provided on GitHub) without requiring administrative rights ?
-- bitli

This can only be done through an update. You can create your own update repository, or you can send the documentation (PIDoc source) to me and I can release an update for you.

A "Process > Feature Documentation" main menu option has been suggested before. I'm thinking on the best way to implement it. Perhaps in the next version.

Hi Mike,

Yes, the \figure command only takes block parameters. I have tried to be very careful to avoid incompatibilities with previous versions. Do you have problems with this command in version 1.6.1?

Hi Juan,

\figure accepts numbered and unnumbered like \table, both very useful. Both listed as \table parameters but not for \figure. Should they be?

Thanks,
Mike'

Hi Juan,

A minor issue:

\image a/f.png
\image b/f.png

seem to result in a f.png name conflict and overwrite in the compiled images/ directory. A unique naming feature would be nice to have.

Mike

Hi Juan,

You posted a html link to your 2nd xsif document in a post. I would like to do the same for my compiled document, however it contains local file system refs to style and images, which are not rendered when I open a copy of the html saved in a different location. I assume you encapsulated everything into single file to make this work. How did you do that?

Thanks,
Mike

Back