New Tool: Superbias

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
Hi all,

I have just released an update to the ImageCalibration module that includes a new tool: Superbias. This update is now available on all supported platforms: FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.

The Superbias method was created by Vicent Peris, and initially implemented as an unofficial module by Carlos Milovic, back in 2011. Today we have released a completely revised implementation as a new standard PixInsight tool.

The Superbias algorithm generates a noise-free master bias frame, equivalent to a master bias integrated from thousands of individual bias frames, by extracting pixel-to-pixel differences with vertical (or horizontal) orientation and large-scale structures from a real master bias. The better the source master bias you use, the better the generated superbias will be, but excellent results can be obtained from a master integrating a reduced number of frames, say just 20 or 40 bias frames. You can use a superbias for image calibration purposes, just as a regular master bias frame. By calibrating your data with a superbias, you save the noise introduced by subtraction of a real master bias frame, and your images benefit from a more accurate modelling of the bias signal.

The new implementation uses the multiscale median transform (MMT) to perform the necessary multiscale analysis. Previously the starlet transform (AKA ? trous wavelet transform) was used, which is now also available as an option. The MMT, despite being computationally expensive, is now used by default because it is much better at isolating structures in the multiscale representation. The new tool also implements a robust trimmed mean algorithm to compute the mean value of each column (or row), which replaces a previous implementation using more traditional statistical methods (one-step rejection based on the standard deviation), and an option to remove large-scale gradients from the internal working images used for calculation of mean column (row) values. Most of these features have been suggested recently by Mr. Peris.

To use Superbias, open a master bias frame and apply the Superbias tool to it. It's just that simple. A new image window will be generated with the superbias frame, which you can save to a FITS file for later use. To inspect a superbias, you should use the ScreenTransferFunction tool (STF), or simply press Ctrl(Cmd)+A to apply STF AutoStretch. Using 24-bit STF LUTs is necessary in most cases.

See the following screenshot for an example of superbias generation. In this case the source master bias has been integrated from 40 bias frames.

I hope you'll find this new tool useful. Thank you for your continued support.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but the SuperBias process doesn't seem to work with my bias images. I have a QSI540 with a KAI-04022 sensor. This sensor produces quite "dirty" raw images but the calibration fixes them very well.
I have applied SuperBias to a 200 frame bias and the result is worse than the original. In the original there are partially lighter columns that in the SuperBias go fully from top to bottom. I have attached a cropped comparison of the same area.

I don't know whether this process can be used with my camera or I am doing something wrong.

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 207
Hi,

The Superbias tool is designed to reproduce the column structure of the bias pattern, so it doesn't work with bias frames with partial columns. But I think we can think on a solution for this and publish an update in the future.

Thanks,
Vicent.

I got the same sort of results as Andres.  The master bias was built from 20 frames from my ST-8300.  Could be that I am at (or below) the minimum needed for the new process to work.

Bob

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_45 Jul. 06 09.49.jpg
    ScreenHunter_45 Jul. 06 09.49.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 154
Bob, enable the track view of the STF to see the STF settings of the regular bias. Then, drag and drop the triangle over the superbias image to apply the same STF settings to both images.

V.

Thanks Vincent,

I didn't think about that at the time, too much of a newbie.  Looks better when you apply the same stretch.  I really appreciate the help.

Bob

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_46 Jul. 06 12.20.jpg
    ScreenHunter_46 Jul. 06 12.20.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 161
Hi
I also have this problem !!!

Harry

Andres.Pozo said:
I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but the SuperBias process doesn't seem to work with my bias images. I have a QSI540 with a KAI-04022 sensor. This sensor produces quite "dirty" raw images but the calibration fixes them very well.
I have applied SuperBias to a 200 frame bias and the result is worse than the original. In the original there are partially lighter columns that in the SuperBias go fully from top to bottom. I have attached a cropped comparison of the same area.

I don't know whether this process can be used with my camera or I am doing something wrong.

Here's a 24 bit display.  Doesn't look right to me.  STT-8300.  The partial column went full length and it generated a type of moire pattern.  I can't see this working better than the original bias.

Fred

Attachments

• superbias_result.jpg
    superbias_result.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 157
Bias frames with partial columns are still not supported by the Superbias tool. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll release a new version to overcome this limitation, but probably not before September.

...it generated a type of moire pattern.

Superbias images definitely require 24-bit STF for proper visualization. I see some screenshots posted here where normal 16-bit STFs are still being used.

I created some superbias frames, then tried to use them in MaximDL. Maxim does not recognize the frames as Bias frames in the Calibration Setup tab.

After experimenting, I found that the IMAGTYPE keyword in the Fits header needed to be changed. PI is using "Master Bias", while Maxim is looking for "BIAS". When I changed this keyword, the frames worked as expected.

I am another ACP user, so I need to use Maxim for image collection. Calibration is very convenient, since the images are calibrated as they are collected. I do not have to do anything, the calibrated images are ready the next morning. I use PI for alignment and everything after that.

Juan,

Yes I was aware of the column issue.  I am however more concerned with the pattern that the SuperBias is producing.  This same pattern is also seen in other images posted.  I did select 24 bit from PI.  Is there a 24 bit setting somewhere else that I need to set?  I know of only one place and that's at the bottom of the PI screen.

Thanks,

Fred

Juan Conejero said:
Bias frames with partial columns are still not supported by the Superbias tool. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll release a new version to overcome this limitation, but probably not before September.

...it generated a type of moire pattern.

Superbias images definitely require 24-bit STF for proper visualization. I see some screenshots posted here where normal 16-bit STFs are still being used.

Is the image I posted being displayed in 16 bit?  I selected 24 bit from the bottom of the PI screen.  I couldn't find any bit settings within the STF itself.  Could you please be a little more specific?

Thanks,

Fred

I noticed if I tried it on a master bias that was created with BPP I got an odd pattern. I made a new master bias with image intragration with the recommended settings and then it worked perfect.

Works great with my DSLR-Biases. Thank you Vicent and Juan :)
left: masterbias with 270 frams at ISO 800
right: superbias

Attachments

• superbias.JPG
    superbias.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 170
ftherrmann said:
Juan,

Yes I was aware of the column issue.  I am however more concerned with the pattern that the SuperBias is producing.  This same pattern is also seen in other images posted.  I did select 24 bit from PI.  Is there a 24 bit setting somewhere else that I need to set?  I know of only one place and that's at the bottom of the PI screen.

Thanks,

Fred

I think the bottom setting only sets the bits the probe uses to show the pixel values under your cursor. The 24-bit STF setting is on the top toolbar row next to the auto STF buttons.

Back