New script: ColorMask

Hello Rick,

Is your ColorMask script v 0.7 the latest version and if not where can I find it?

Thanks
Jean

Hi Jean,

v0.7 is still the latest version.  I have a few more things I'd like to implement when I have time.  I'll upload any new versions to this thread.

Cheers,
Rick.

Hi Rick

I am trying to download your script, I see the small clip on the first page but it is not clickable for me. (Nothing happens)
I have tested with Firefox and IE. Are there any other place that I can download it from?

Can you please help me out

Regards
Jimmy

Jimmy said:
I am trying to download your script, I see the small clip on the first page but it is not clickable for me. (Nothing happens)
I have tested with Firefox and IE. Are there any other place that I can download it from?

Hi Jimmy,

Did you try to download before you logged in to the forum?  If you're not logged in I don't think you can do downloads.  There's a copy here just in case that doesn't help: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgol6hddkuxi8rv/ColorMask_0.7.zip?dl=0

Cheers,
Rick.

Hi Ricks

Actually I tried both signed and not, still can't click it.
But I got it now, thanks Ricks

Kind regards
Jimmy

looking for some help installing color mask.  I have downloaded and unzipped the file.  I took the file and put it in SRC - scripts folder.  I can see the ColorMask_0.7.js in the folder but cannot see it under scripts utilites in Pixinsight.  when I click feature scripts and add I can see the color mask file but it is not highlighted to select.

what am I doing wrong?

thanks

rockwall astro said:
looking for some help installing color mask.  I have downloaded and unzipped the file.  I took the file and put it in SRC - scripts folder.  I can see the ColorMask_0.7.js in the folder but cannot see it under scripts utilites in Pixinsight.  when I click feature scripts and add I can see the color mask file but it is not highlighted to select.

what am I doing wrong?

Not sure what could be going wrong.  Have you tried putting it in another folder and then using the Add button to navigate there?  I keep my custom scripts in a PI Tools directory in my home directory.

Cheers,
Rick.

Rockwell I thought I had the same problem - in Mac OSX - I tried to add - but all the JS files were greyed out. I just double clicked a random file and it re-scanned the script directory and it appeared in the list

I'm having the same issue.  On my new MacBook Pro, I cannot add the color mask script to the scripts tab, it shows up grayed out.  I have tried by adding, rebuilding, placing it in a separate folder.  I can open it in the script editor and launch it from there, but cannot get it to show up in my scripts tab.

Is there an updated tutorial, I have installed 0.7 and I do not have options for things like "Curvature Mask" etc, and I have noticed, if I click on Magenta for example, and I then click on the "Start Hue" box to enter a value, it automatically selects "Red" again

Simon

Simon

It's not that it is automatically selecting red, it is reverting to the button layout as when you first start the script. Open the script and you will see red is highlighted but the hue parameters are zeros. When ever you make a manual change you override the button selection. So when you select magenta and make a hue change it is no longer true magenta. The red button being highlighted is just a default look for the buttons.

As to the Curve selection that has not been around for a while. I think Rick might have explained why it was removed in a post.

Here is all the versions I know about. There might have been some that I might have missed.

Mike 

Attachments

• colormaskversions.jpg
    colormaskversions.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 135
Hi Simon,

Mike is correct.  Clicking on one of the colour buttons will set appropriate start and end hue values.  If you change the start or end hue manually it will override the buttons.  The Red button gets highlighted as a default.  Maybe I should add a "manual" button to make it clearer what has happened.

I removed some of the original features like the Curvature mask because they weren't that useful in practice.

Cheers,
Rick.

cdavid said:
I'm having the same issue.  On my new MacBook Pro, I cannot add the color mask script to the scripts tab, it shows up grayed out.  I have tried by adding, rebuilding, placing it in a separate folder.  I can open it in the script editor and launch it from there, but cannot get it to show up in my scripts tab.

Sorry, I haven't been able to reproduce this.  I don't think it is anything specific to the script.

Cheers for putting in all the hard work Rick. Much appreciated.

Here comes the silly question, how to use it? I'm only a beginner so I do apologise for asking such question.

souls33k3r said:
Cheers for putting in all the hard work Rick. Much appreciated.

Thanks.

souls33k3r said:
Here comes the silly question, how to use it? I'm only a beginner so I do apologise for asking such question.

Rob's answer is a good one (thanks, Rob!)  The first post is a rough example of how you could use ColorMask on a narrow band Hubble palette image to get the common gold/turquoise colouring that seems popular.  It shows some of the basic things you can do.

The more general answer is that you use the script whenever you want to isolate and process a specific colour or range of colours.  As an example, say you have a faint blue reflection nebula that you want to enhance.  Make a blue mask with ColorMask, apply it to the image, and use standard PI processes to enhance the blue areas of the image - as an example you could use CurvesTranformation to boost the blue channel and perhaps do a small HistogramTransformation boost to brighten the blue areas as well.

ColorMask is just a basic tool.  It relies on you to figure out when and how it is useful.  If you're just a beginner it may take a while for you to figure that out.  When I started out I found the technical side of processing didn't seem that difficult.  The part I found difficult (still do!) was developing a sense of aesthetics and knowing what an image "needed."  You may find that ColorMask makes more sense as your personal sense of aesthetics develops and you start to have stronger ideas about how you want an image to look.  ColorMask is only one of many tools that you can use to get to where you want to go.

Cheers,
Rick.

RickS said:
Rob's answer is a good one (thanks, Rob!)  The first post is a rough example of how you could use ColorMask on a narrow band Hubble palette image to get the common gold/turquoise colouring that seems popular.  It shows some of the basic things you can do.

The more general answer is that you use the script whenever you want to isolate and process a specific colour or range of colours.  As an example, say you have a faint blue reflection nebula that you want to enhance.  Make a blue mask with ColorMask, apply it to the image, and use standard PI processes to enhance the blue areas of the image - as an example you could use CurvesTranformation to boost the blue channel and perhaps do a small HistogramTransformation boost to brighten the blue areas as well.

ColorMask is just a basic tool.  It relies on you to figure out when and how it is useful.  If you're just a beginner it may take a while for you to figure that out.  When I started out I found the technical side of processing didn't seem that difficult.  The part I found difficult (still do!) was developing a sense of aesthetics and knowing what an image "needed."  You may find that ColorMask makes more sense as your personal sense of aesthetics develops and you start to have stronger ideas about how you want an image to look.  ColorMask is only one of many tools that you can use to get to where you want to go.

Cheers,
Rick.

Cheers for this Rick, i think i know exactly what i was doing wrong. I thought that by choosing the parameters and applying them will apply to the actual image that i'm working on but in fact it creates a mask based on the colours available in the image? am i right in saying that? and then apply the mask and like you said make changes to that colour using the CurvesTranformation as an example. Am i on the right track here?

I am getting quite familiar with most of the inbuilt PI features

Back