New in PixInsight 1.8.8-6: Gaia DR2 Local Database

When I try to save any of the xpsd files, I get the normal pop up in Win10 to save the file in the downloads, but when I click to save it doesnt do anything but flash

I finally got them

Last edited:
Thanks for this. It happened to me on my second computer HP Zbook Win10 Workstation.

As noted above, these are machine-specific problems that cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. The update corresponding to the new GaiaDR2 module works perfectly on all platforms; we have tested this once more today. There are no known problems with our current update system.

If the new GaiaDR2 module has not been installed automatically when you installed the update, that's because something on your machine blocked the installation process. These issues are beyond our control, and are not being caused by PixInsight. Poor virus protection applications tend to cause these problems on Windows and macOS. Wrong system configurations and conflicting utility applications (bloatware) are among other common causes.

When I try to download the database files, it stars and runs at ~1.2Mb/sec for a few seconds then tells me "Failed". I've restarted several times. I don't have fast internet, but the connection seems stable--no other downloads have done this.

As noted above, these are machine-specific problems that cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. The update corresponding to the new GaiaDR2 module works perfectly on all platforms; we have tested this once more today. There are no known problems with our current update system.

I hang out on a lot of forums/communities and I don't know a single person who got this latest update and didn't have to come here to read how to fix it.

Thanks Juan for this Gaia DR2 Local Database. It is going to be extremely useful.
It installed on my system without any problems.

I've had PCC unable to plate solve, message being 'GaiaDR2 is not defined' when using the default Automatic catalog. I'm assuming this means that the catalog didn't install? Windows 10 here, and only Windows native security. Thanks!

I've had PCC unable to plate solve, message being 'GaiaDR2 is not defined' when using the default Automatic catalog. I'm assuming this means that the catalog didn't install? Windows 10 here, and only Windows native security. Thanks!
Following Byron's lead, I was able to install GAIA via Modules, as it had already downloaded OK.

I had no problems with the installation of Gaia DR2 Local Database (Windows 10 Pro, version 2004). Juan's explanation at the top of this thread was very clear to me, and following the advice I had success at once without any issue.

Bernd

I went to Process>Modules>Install Modules, and when I clicked on the Search button it DID find it, installed, and it seems ok now. Thanks!
Alan
I also had this problem, and Juan's suggestion worked (Select Process > Modules > Install Modules, then click the Search button. The GaiaDR2 module should be found. Then click Install). I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. So this is not an uncommon problem.

I also had this problem, and Juan's suggestion worked (Select Process > Modules > Install Modules, then click the Search button. The GaiaDR2 module should be found. Then click Install). I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. So this is not an uncommon problem.

I see. But we cannot reproduce the problem you are reporting on any of our working and testing machines, on any platform. On the other hand, many users, some of them also here on this forum thread, have reported that the new GaiaDR2 module was installed automatically without problems after the update on all supported platforms, including Windows 10.

This is a machine-specific problem that cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions, unless you can describe a specific scenario and a set of conditions where we can reproduce it consistently. Our update process is robust and works correctly on all supported platforms under normal working conditions, unless the contrary can be demonstrated.

From my experience, these issues are typically caused on Windows by antivirus applications blocking access to specific files temporarily. Other causes can be file sharing, backup and maintenance applications working as background processes, typically vendor-provided bloatware or poorly designed utility applications. We have seen also weird problems related to blocked, missing and corrupted files after buggy Windows updates. Note that this is beyond our control, basically because we cannot control what third-party applications do or don't do on your machines. FWIW, we use McAfee Total Protection exclusively on our Windows 10 machines, and we always maintain up-to-date clean configurations with minimal third-party software. Of course, none of our working and testing Windows machines performs any network activity besides strictly required software update downloads from trusted sources and file transfers within our intranet.

None of these problems exist on Linux (modulo outliers with wrong system configurations), and rarely on macOS.

Are there plans to use Gaia photometric data (rather than APASS data) in the PhotometricColorCalibration Process?
Peter.

Yes, we are working on adding Gaia photometry to the PCC tool, as an alternative to the APASS catalog. However, the task isn't easy and I still can't ensure that this will be doable. We'll keep everybody informed here.

Downloaded and installed new data base files.

New image solver script would not solve my stacked image, even though the meta data was correct (from image capture).

I went back to an individual sub fit file, and it solved fine, but I noticed it was in a different geometry orientation than the stacked image. I did a horizontal mirror on the stacked image, so that it marched the sub, and then it solved without issue.

Seems like a bug? Image solver should solve regardless of image "parity" etc.?

FYI I had rotated the stacked image 180 degrees before attempting to solve, and from that point they needed horizontal mirror to match the sub I checked against (and solve correctly).

Back