New in PixInsight 1.8.5: FrameAdaptation

I tried the new LocalNormalization with the Output Files stored in the same directory as the previously registered images.  The process runs to conclusion with a ".xnml" file for each of the image files.
In ImageIntegration I set Normalization to Local normalization but get:

"Warning: Local normalization data not available - No normalization will be applied!

Note: The image files are RGB

What am I missing?

you need to add the LN files to the ImageIntegration tool... there is a button to the left of the file list.

rob

Please bear with us while we complete a few tutorials on the new tools released with PixInsight 1.8.5. LocalNormalization is a powerful but complex image analysis tool requiring a full description and detailed usage notes. The same applies to PhotometricColorCalibration.

I just updated to 1.8.5 and was following the updated Pre-Processing instructions at http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-pre-processing-calibrating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html and hit a snag when adding the Local Normalization files.  I get the attached error.  I'm going to continue processing without adding the new normalization files, but would like to know if it's something I may have done incorrectly.

Thanks

UPDATE 08.24.17:  I think I figured it out.  There's some ambiguity in the creation of the "normalized" images in the instructions on Light Vortex (just at this step!  The rest is awesome).  In the instructions, this step appears after the images have had the drizzle data added.  The step to add the normalization data files appears to use the PRE-DRIZZLED images; that is, the instructions themselves doesn't clarity this, and the accompanying graphic shows the pre-drizzled images.  It's when I used the pre-drizzled images that I received the attached error.  I re-ran the LocalNormalization process on the POST-DRIZZLED images, and I could then add the normalized image files that this created to the ImageIntegration process.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 8.58.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 8.58.59 AM.png
    255.5 KB · Views: 157
I'm playing around with the new LocalNormalization process and ImageIntegration process. My basic question is, is it ever possible that using LocalNormalization with rejection stacking will result in a slightly higher SNR than just stacking without any rejection (and therefore without LocalNormalization)?

I am finding that in many cases when I stack a set of images without rejection, and then stack with rejection and LocalNormalization, the LN stack has a higher SNR which doesn't quite make sense to me.

For example, I stacked a small set of 12-5min images.  Without rejection the SNR reported in the process console was 1.33+04.  When using Windsorized Sigma Clipping and LN the resulting SNR was 1.54+04.  This seems to be a common occurrence with small stacks of images.  However with larger stacks and using LinearFit rejection the resulting SNR is lower than the non-rejected stack, which is what I would expect.

pfile said:
you need to add the LN files to the ImageIntegration tool... there is a button to the left of the file list.

rob

Hi Rob, can you expand on where this button is. I am having trouble trying to find the xnml files after producing them with LocalNormalisation. I can see them in Windows File Explorer but ImageIntegration doesn't seem recognise xnml files and I can't therefore Add Files to ImageIntegration.

Probably something simple I am missing??

Thanks Rob,

not sure why but my ImageIntegration input panel doesn't have these extra boxes in, it looks the same as the old version of PI. I downloaded the new version a few days ago and just checked and it says in the program files that it is the new version.

Presumably I should re-install the new version??

hmm, have you installed all the available updates? something is definitely wrong... maybe somehow the old version did not get uninstalled?

rob

All sorted. Uninstalled and reinstalled PI and all now working. However, it may have been me all the time. I realised when I attempted to load the files again, that until I Added the registered files to ImageIntegration the Add localnormalisation box was blanked out!

Thanks again Rob for getting me back on the rails. My initial reaction having run it with a few files is that the integrated image is a significant improvement. Thanks everyone at PI for such great software even if it really tests an old boy like me.

Can someone give me some clarification. I am getting some odd master images resulting from running using localnormalization (LN) on sets of Andromeda Galaxy images I have. these images were taken at 60s, 120s and 300s. I have registered them all together, is the process to produce LN images in batches aligned with the exposure lengths or can they all be run together. ie add all the images into LN and run it and then all the images into Image Integration?

Putting all the subs into LN together give me an image, but still with a gradient. When I apply DBE to it I get a rather horrible result.

Any ideas please?

Hey folks,

I have tried using LocalNormalization but am running into a consistent problem, namely dark halos around my bright stars.  I see nothing in the popup help that mentions ringing and am wondering if anybody has a suggestion where to start experimenting.

Thanks,

Jim

I usually get bright halos with the default settings, Jim.  Setting Scale to 256 fixes them.  Not sure it will work in your case but worth a try if you haven't tried adjusting Scale yet.

Cheers,
Rick.

Thanks,

Will give that a shot and report back.  Could be a few days since I am well under way on a five panel mosaic of the Double Cluster.

Best,

Jim

I wonder when Juan will be ready to release the tutorials he talked about for this tool and PCC

???

I have a big mosaic of the Orion region with lots of gradients waiting since May, which I stopped to work on in order to make use of this promising function. Juan had promised to describe its usage in September; unfortunately now 2017 has almost passed... :'( :'( :'(

Back