Needed: cvs or subversion server

Nocturnal

Hi,

I was about to send Juan an email and ask for the lastest Debayer sources (assuming he's updated them to account for PCL changes) so I can add new stuff. Then I'd have to send a ZIP back. Very 1980's and very error prone. It would be much better if pixinsight.com exposed an ssh protected cvs or subversion server for modules developed outside the PTeam. Well, presumably inside the PTeam but outside casa Conejero as well :)

Anyway, long shot I know but worth considering putting on the readmap if public PCL development is a goal. I think it is :)

Hi Sander,

I completely agree with the convenience of a source version control system. However, why not a distributed system, such as git or Mercurial? I tend to prefer Mercurial because it is more cross-platform. This is not a priority task, but it's probably the right time to start thinking on it more seriously.

All this 'Jedi' mumbo-jumbo and black-magic talk Sander ;)

I tried to get Google to translate the language of your post, but it just said "Compile Error - undeclared variable. Unlucky" :p

I assume that Jedii can speak in 'tongues' and that it sounds better when uttered through a masked helmet ::)

Hi Juan,

you can buy perforce for all I care :) It's the principle that I care about, not the tool. Both cvs and subserversion are cross-platform so that's certainly not a concern. Clearly I wouldn't suggest any tool I wasn't sure would work on Windows and *ix.

All that is needed is a central repository. That makes it distributed right there. If you prefer mercurial then I'll gladly learn how to use it. I suggested cvs and subservsion because sourceforge uses those.

Many open source projects are moving to distributed revision control because it tends to promote more community contributions.  They also have amazing local branching features that make experimentation easy.  It would be great if there was a PixInsight repo that I could push my script (soon to be scripts) to.

I've been playing around with both git and mercurial and both are excellent. Github is nice but they charge for hosting private repos.  However,  I have hosted both hg and git with my web server and it's easy to set up.

If you combine that with a continuous integration server like Hudson you've got a great way to provide up-to-date binaries.

Edit: I've been using GitHub for some projects lately and I really like it.  Git is available for all the platforms that PixInsight ships on.

In a previous life, I did a fair amount of development in various languages using Eclipse as an IDE and CVS (CVSNT) for source control.  I've just built a new desktop and I've been copying from my old desktop, including some of the source code that I did not want to throw away.

I found that CVSNT now charge, even for their community version.  The price is not unreasonable (85 pounds for a single user I think) but I thought I'd look at Mercurial and Git since they are free and were mentioned here.  They both worked very well and simply for my purposes - in the end I opted for Mercurial since the MercurialEclipse plug in for Eclipse seemed a bit better than the EGit equivalent.

Changing the subject slightly, I also discovered 7-Zip when I went looking for a free ZIP tool - I really like it but again, just tested for my simple needs.

Mike

Back