Need a current tutorial for CMOS preprocessing workflow

yomamma

I use an ASI294MC Pro and am having a hard time getting any type of decent pic processed. My preprocess is to blink the frames, then batch process with 40 darks - 40 dark flats - 40 flats, then star alignment and finally image integration. Here is the result after i did an auto stretch in Sharpcap versus Pix

Ring Nebula Sharpcap

NebSC.jpg

Ring Nebula Pix

Nebpix.jpg

What I need to find is a good tutorial as obviously I am missing something. Sharpcap has it perfect. I had no errors in processing in Pix but it is obviously wrong.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
pixinsight isn't "obviously wrong", it just has different parameters for the auto stretch.

you can't really expect to process such a bright target (or any target for that matter) just by clicking STF. you might want to check out adam block's "stretch academy" or indeed his whole corpus of tutorials if you are new to this stuff.

I use an ASI294MC Pro and am having a hard time getting any type of decent pic processed. My preprocess is to blink the frames, then batch process with 40 darks - 40 dark flats - 40 flats, then star alignment and finally image integration. Here is the result after i did an auto stretch in Sharpcap versus Pix

Ring Nebula Sharpcap

View attachment 18686

Ring Nebula Pix

View attachment 18685

What I need to find is a good tutorial as obviously I am missing something. Sharpcap has it perfect. I had no errors in processing in Pix but it is obviously wrong.

Thanks for your help
The primary purpose of STF (autostretch) is to let you visualize an image you are working on. Not to produce a final or even workable image.

I had no errors in processing in Pix but it is obviously wrong.
I think you will find that you get exactly the same answers in this thread that you got in the other. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your PixInsight image. Auto STF is based on adjusting the image background (i.e. the image median value); this will completely exclude the bright M57 pixels from the calculation. Sharpcap clearly uses a different algorithm - not better, just different. This has been said dozens (actually hundreds) of times, but folks still don't listen:
Auto STF (Screen Transfer Function) is a VISUALISATION AID to give some idea of the image BEFORE proper non-linear stretch processing. It is not an image PROCESSING tool.

Back