My preferences

txastro

When I set the "Directories and Network" preference, my preference is never saved. I have to reset it each time I start PixInsight. I have read a previous thread, so I know I'm not alone in this. I'm running version 1.8.8-9 (all updates installed) on windows 10 64-bit. Antivirus has never complained about any PixInsight file.

Where are Preferences saved for Windows 10 64-bit?

Xavier

Hi Xavier,

This cannot be reproduced. Preferences are always saved and restored without problems on all supported platforms, including Windows 10, in all of our tests and testing machines. Please realize that if this could be reproduced consistently, the same problem would be being reported by thousands of users, which is not happening.

This is a machine-specific issue, probably being caused by a third-party application, or a particular system configuration. Bear in mind that many antivirus applications can mess with file creation and updating processes without any external sign, so I wouldn't discard your antivirus as a potential origin of this issue. There can be other third-party causes, such as file backup and management utilities running as background processes.

On Windows, PixInsight preferences are stored as a regular plain text file (INI format) on your AppData folder.

Hi Juan,
I found the PixInsight.ini file in "AppData\Roaming\Pleiades", and it showed correctly the swap location I selected. The timestamp was also correct. When I started PixInsight I received the "A temporary folder is being used for storage of image swap files.". It seems that the PixInsight.ini is not being accessed or, if it is being accessed, the settings are not being applied.

Thanks,
Xavier

Mine just started yelling at me about saving in .jpg format again. I had turned all those warning off so I went into the Directories and Network preferences and those were reset also. Looks like my usage data got corrupted somehow.

Mine just started yelling at me about saving in .jpg format again. I had turned all those warning off so I went into the Directories and Network preferences and those were reset also. Looks like my usage data got corrupted somehow.
I have to set my directory preferences EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! I see this topic come up from time to time, and I do consider it a bug. My bug report was moved to the "General" forum.

If anyone knows the location of the PixInsight startup log, could you provide it? I have confirmed that my preferences are being saved to the .INI file (October 02, 2021 post in response to Juan -- see above).

cop
Hi Xavier,

This cannot be reproduced. Preferences are always saved and restored without problems on all supported platforms, including Windows 10, in all of our tests and testing machines. Please realize that if this could be reproduced consistently, the same problem would be being reported by thousands of users, which is not happening.

This is a machine-specific issue, probably being caused by a third-party application, or a particular system configuration. Bear in mind that many antivirus applications can mess with file creation and updating processes without any external sign, so I wouldn't discard your antivirus as a potential origin of this issue. There can be other third-party causes, such as file backup and management utilities running as background processes.

On Windows, PixInsight preferences are stored as a regular plain text file (INI format) on your AppData folder.
I have recently had some of my preferences not load upon startup. As far as I can determine, it is only the "Directories and Network" swap directories that are not loading correctly. Interestingly enough, they are in the PixInsight.ini file. I have eight swap directories set and each one has this type of entry in the ini file.

Global\Preferences\ImageWindow\SwapDirectory002=D:/Pi_Swap/Two

It's very odd that only selective entries are not being loaded upon startup.

Back