My First Astrophoto - Horse Head Nebula and Flame Nebula (IC434, NGC2024)

yuntaolu

This is my first astrophoto, spent one week to figure out how to use PixInsight, still have a lot of questions. Any suggestion is welcome, thanks.

Attachments

• IC434_Export-Small-PI.jpg
    IC434_Export-Small-PI.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 153
Usually i dont comment images in the Gallery, but  with a few exceptions.
If this is your first Astrophoto processed with PixInsight i am very much impressed by the quality of the outcome!!!!
This is excellent.
Starting at this high level i have never seen.
You will produce in one year every week the APOD...

Impressed
Gerald

oldwexi said:
Usually i dont comment images in the Gallery, but  with a few exceptions.
If this is your first Astrophoto processed with PixInsight i am very much impressed by the quality of the outcome!!!!
This is excellent.
Starting at this high level i have never seen.
You will produce in one year every week the APOD...

Impressed
Gerald

Thanks for your encouragement. I followed Kayron Mercieca?s toturial and tried so may times on changing parameters in each steps. This is the best result I could get.

This is my first astrophoto, spent one week to figure out how to use PixInsight, still have a lot of questions. Any suggestion is welcome, thanks.

This is a most impressive result for your first astrophoto! The focus is beautiful, guiding looks perfect, and the SNR is very good. I agree with Gerald: you're on your way to APOD!

Richard

The detail in the Flame Nebula is stunning and you have managed to tame Alnitak very well. However, I think that you have lost some detail in the red nebula above the Horsehead. Have a look at the first picture in this link https://www.amateurastrophotography.com/top-5-images-of-the-horsehead-nebula.

Geoff,
Thanks for the link, I think you are right. I did a several simple test on the image, looks like I can recover a little bit details.
Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.34.08 PM.png

I think there are several things I did wrong, and may improve next time capture this target.
  • This image was using ABE, so it is not well controlled to subtract background light pollution. I could use DBE to get better control.
  • Take more subs. Since Horsehead is an emission nebula, maybe add some h-aplha data to enhance the detail.
  • Need better noise reduction skills.
  • It was the first time use PixInsight, didn't really know how to enhance the details. It looks like it is easy to recover the detail by using HDRMultiscaleTransform and LocalHistogramEqualization processor.
Yuntao

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.34.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 1.34.08 PM.png
    898 KB · Views: 50
Back