MureDenoise Missing in Version 1.8.8-4

I was just getting ready to use MureDenoise and find it is missing after a recent update.

I am running Version 1.8.8-4 on the Mac.
Looking in the /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/mschuster/MureDenoise I see this directory is empty. /Applications/PixInsight/src/scripts/mschuster/MureDenoiseDetectorSettings/ is empty as well.

Other mschuster scripts appear to be present.

Andrew

I was able to get MureDenoise and MureDenoiseDetectorSettings back by reinstalling PixInsight from the latest download. After doing this, I could see that the Mure Denoise scripts were back in the src/scripts/mschuster directory. But I was still missing the Script -> Noise Reduction menu in PixInsight.

I allowed an update to run, but no change to the script menu.

I next opened Script -> Feature Scripts and then re-added both versions of Mure Denoise using the "Add" button and navigating to the folder for each script inside PixInsight.

I am not sure what happened. Perhaps this is a glitch that only I experienced.

I hope this helps someone else.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This is a machine-specific issue. The MureDenoise script is included in all 1.8.8-4 distribution packages, hence it is available once the application has been installed on all supported platforms.

I am also not seeing MureDenoise anymore.. It was there, than I updated pixinsights and now it is gone. (on windows, 1.8.8-5).

Where could I reinstall this from?

Last edited:
This cannot be reproduced. On Windows, problems like these are typically caused by antivirus applications that remove or "quarantine" files arbitrarily. Buggy system updates can also delete files sometimes, and file or backup utility applications running as background processes can cause similar problems.

@Juan Conejero - I can guaranty that I have no backup software nor antiviruses running and "quarantining" random files on my astrophotography computer, nor did I do any "system update". For what its worth, I am a system programmer by profession, I am very aware of such problems, as well as unreproducible problems that still must be handled. It does seem like this problem is experienced by a few users, so it does require some attention. I do get that it is not easily reproducible - this is why I suggest workarounds, e.g. a "restore default scripts" option in settings, the installer's "repair" option, an external script, or something else which would automate reverting the software to its original state. No one should go through what I did just to get a script back.

Here is a rundown of the things I tried (@kkuenstler and others):
1. Re-ran the installation software, and clicked the "repair" option - did not help
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled from scratch - did not help
3. Uninstalled, manually removed every mention of pixinsights from my hard drive, as well as any mention of pixinsights from the windows registry, then reinstalled - WORKED, I got that script back.

However, let me CAUTION: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Messing around with registry is not safe, and you should google around on how to make backups of it before you make any changes!

In my opinion, the "repair" option of the installer should have brought back the script. Further, the "uninstall" option should actually remove everything from the system that is related to pixinsights. It is customary for the uninstaller to give an OPTION to retain some configuration, but there was a LOT of stuff left in the registry I had to manually remove for the system to actually be clean of pixinsights.

Back