Monofied DSLR

bilgebay

I have a monofied Nikon D5100 DSLR camera. The color filter array had been removed so basically the sensor is mono. However the camera electronocs don't know this.

My question is what are the best Raw settings to get the most out of this mono raw image ? Is it possible to demosaic the image without converting it to RGB ?

Last edited:
hi sedat, once the bayer matrix is gone there's no reason to debayer. you just treat the camera like it was a mono CCD.

in OSC flows debayering happens only after calibration anyway, so essentially you just skip that step and move on to StarAlignment. the calibration step already treats the sensor data as if it were mono data.

rob

Hello Rob,

Thank you. Please the attached screen shot. In the mono image the checkered look needs to go away somehow... the color version doesn't have this look.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 2.23.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 2.23.52 PM.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 57
Yes.... when dcraw converts the files this pattern is not visible...

Here is a test image...

Attachments

• D5100Sedat.jpg
    D5100Sedat.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 57
ok so it's just the same crazy stuff - RAW is not really raw. but since DCRAW can figure out to ignore what is apparently metadata, i guess this is a shortcoming in libRAW?

rob

It seems Nikon, again, is tempering with the raw data... will share my results after the hack... well, hopefully :)

That's a pity. Can you please upload an image of your "monofied" camera in NEF format and post the link?

Bernd

I can get in touch with Jim and ask..

I have uploaded 2 files to dropbox. One is with the camera's original firmware and the other is with the hacked firmware where the star eater, nef compression etc are disabled. However, the checkerboard pattern is still there. Sorry, these are not astro images but hopefully will serve the purpose.

Thank you for your time and effort. Very much appreciated.

These frames are indeed strange... Definitely the "Post_heck.NEF" is strongly overexposed. Do you have a (post-hack) frame that is not partly saturated?

Bernd

I captured these images in unfavourable conditions but still the result will an idea as to what can be achieved with this camera...

I shot these frames with no filter through an achromatic f/5 scope with lots field curvature. I was not able to shoot longer than 30 seconds because I didn't have proper shutter control cable at the time. This integration is only 35x 30 seconds. Since the camera is full spectrum and the scope is not able to focus all wavelengths, the stars have huge halos. I have put together all the missing details so the next time I will be able to share a much better frame with you.

You can download the .fit file here --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyzkaml5izlmcw7/M101_NoFilter_35x30s_integration.fit?dl=0

I applied DefectMap to the cosmetized files and CanonBandingReduction and STF to the integration, no other processing was done.

M101LR.jpg

Hi Sedat,

I split the masters into the channels with SplitCFA. These are the median values for the MasterFlat:
R 11263
G1 2644
G2 2647
B 11282

Then R and B were averaged, and the G's as well (R/B: 11272.5, G: 2645.5) and the quotient was calculated (f = 4.26).

These are the values for the MasterBias:
R 124.7
G1 129.0
G2 128.2
B 128.2

...and these are the values for the MasterDark:
R 192.5
G 142.5
G 141.6
B 197.5

From these findings it follows that the bias offset is the same for all channels (about 128 ADU), and (for whatever reason) the signal (= raw intensity - bias offset) is multiplied by factor f = 4.26 in case of the R and B channel, but is not changed in case of the G channels. This applies to light, flat and dark frames. My conclusion is: these "raw" files are not raw; some kind of color balance must have been already applied to these data in the camera. If you cannot stop this by setting the camera appropriately, maybe the workaround that I describe at the bottom can help to produce some astro test image with this camera.

Anyway I applied the following PixelMath equation to the MasterFlat:

iif(x()%2==0&&y()%2==1||x()%2==1&&y()%2==0,4.26*$T,$T)

This operation produced the following modified MasterFlat (STF Auto Stretch applied, see appended JPG). In the histogram, only the relevant range from 0 to 0.25 is shown.

MF_mod.JPG

I don't know whether this is helpful for you. The modified MasterFlat suggests that some damage occurred during the removal of the micro lenses and color filters (1374 pixels in rows 390, 391 and 3279 show an intensity of zero, 13 pixels in row 3279 show an intensity of 1 in the normalized real range).

---

For astro photos you could try whether the following calibration workflow is working for you:

1) Modify the MasterFlat with PixelMath as described above.
2) Calibrate the light frames only with the MasterDark.
3) Apply the PixelMath equation to the dark-calibrated light frames.
4) Calibrate the files from step 3) only with the modified MasterDark from step 1).

I did not understand how you removed the checkerboard pattern from the individual light frames of M 101, was that done by the CanonBandingReduction script?

Bernd

Back