Maximization Limit resets

Enzo De Bernardini

PixInsight Ambassador
Hi,

When I maximize, normalize, iconize or shade a image window, the maximization limit resets itself, and returns to default width. Starts happening after moving some toolbars. Win XP 32.

Greetings,

Enzo.

When I set maximization limit to some position, it reset to default position after restarting PixInsight. I can't find method how to set this thin line to my desired position. Any hint? Thanks.

Ripley 1.08.04.1170 x64. 

I can delete the post off the regular forum if this is the correct procedure.

Hi jerryyyyy,

These are the latest versions:

Windows ? 01.08.04.1185 Ripley
Linux ? 01.08.04.1187 Ripley
FreeBSD ? 01.08.04.1123 Ripley
OS X ? 01.08.04.1123 Ripley

I checked on Linux and it is working fine.

Saludos, Alejandro.

I removed the old version and reinstalled twice.  I get the program running but it displays the main window in too large a size.  I cannot seem to control the screen resolution within the application. 

I am having the problem of the maximization reset again after installing the new build:

PixInsight Core 01.08.04.1193 Ripley (x64)

Hope this is the new one.  Just downloaded. 

Reset limit will not stay in place. 

Bump.  This still happends intermittantly.  Are there any settings involved that can be purged or reset? 

Bump, I still have this problem in 2021. Very irritating as I do this after every other process. 4k screen if that matters.

This problem cannot be reproduced under normal working conditions. The maximization limit does not change when you maximize or iconize an image window, or after a process is executed. We also use 4K, 5K and 8K monitors regularly, and this problem never happens, on any platform.

The maximization limit changes to its default position when the application's main window is resized. This is not a bug, but a protection feature to prevent too small maximization regions on the workspace, which may cause problems if the main window is resized to very small dimensions. If you use PixInsight's main window unmaximized, that is, not occupying your entire desktop, its dimensions may change spontaneously under some situations. If you have too many tool bars and status bars open, sometimes the main window may need to grow to fit status information for the current image. We'd need to see a screenshot of your main window setup to say more.

We can think on ways to improve this behavior for future versions. Anyway, you can move the maximization limit with the mouse very easily in a second. I wouldn't regard this as 'irritating', although this is of course subjective.

This I think solves the problem. I realized that I was running PI is a fully maximized window on the 4K monitor... maybe something special with a LG HDTV. This is a 43" monitor.... but it is a TV.

In any case, when I resized the PI to a less than full screen size, and do not change the size, the problem goes away. But if I resize the screen, the max limit resets... as you suggest. And if I use the full screen for the PI window, it resets every once in a while.

You would think that it would be stable using the full screen size, but maybe PI or some other system resizes the screen every once in a while while it is in full screen mode. Or there is some weird rounding going on if PI polls the screen size. Masybe this is an odd size screen.

If I close the program and reopen it, the maximize line comes back to where I left it (correct spot for me).

The process window on start-up does not give me the screen size PI sees.

I'll continue to "monitor" this, but I think these comments got me on the right track.

Thanks, this was a PITA for me.

I am running PI 1.8.8-7 fully updated on Windows 10 Pro (64 bit).
The maximization limit does not work for me under any configuration (full screen; part-screen window). I can drag the maximization limit line, but whenever I maximise any image, the limit resets to the default. It has always done this. I have regarded it as a minor inconvenience and ignored it, but since this issue seems to have been around since before Noah built the ark, I thought I'd raise it again.

This has already been solved in version 1.8.8-8. I have decided to leave the maximization limit always fixed at its current location, even if the main window is resized in a way that maximized windows are "impossible". This most likely will lead to other usability problems, but we'll see. As I noted above, what you are describing probably happens because you have too many tool bars and status bars open, which force a main window resize to accomodate long status text strings. Anyway, this problem won't exist since 1.8.8-8.

Back