Iterative DBE ?

Al Ros

Jul 1, 2020
Hi folks

I am quite new to pixinisight but I have followed many tutorials to get a reasonable grasp of the basics of the step wise process to integration and basic processing.

I am currently using and old SCT 8 inch with a full frame DSLR so images are challenging to flatten and remove sharp circular gradients. I will be investing in better equipment and matching but for the moment that is what I have.

I initially could not get good results with DBE. However, In experimenting with DBE, I found that if I use many samples and low to no smoothing, I can achieve quite good gradient removal if I run a couple of iterations especially if I add a few more sample points in areas that have a sharp gradient. in effect it is like a more effective flat subtraction than I was getting with real flats that were invariably slightly sifted etc

I suspect this is not good practice, and it only works with a small object like M27, M57 etc . My question is if there are no sample points anywhere near the object, is the objected data degraded by DBE and if several iterations of DBE are performed is there additional degradation ?

I realize that better matched equipment and excellent flats would make this unnecessary, but I am interested in understanding how DBE works

thanks
Al