Issue with Image Stacking on Mac 1.8.8-6

Yannis Doukakis

With the last version I face an issue on both Macs, that I did not have previously.

I try to stack a sequence of images, for example the blue channel: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agc2CC2ewDNEhK9JY5OruZoc1RhcIg?e=AgesOo
The settings I used are attached as an image.

When I first run the tool, I get a black image as a result, sometimes with a white square covering 2/3 of the image. Completely wrong output - no stars on the image.
I close the result images (output, clipping low, clipping high), re-run the tool and voila! I get the correct results.
It is not algorithm related, as I have issues with Linear Fit and with Winsorized Sigma Clipping

On my Macbook Pro 15" i7 2015, 16GB RAM I get the results in all channels with the second run.
On my iMac 27" Retina i7 2017, 48GB RAM I had on Blue channel (the one I uploaded) to try three times to get results.
No error message appears in the log files.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 9.45.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 9.45.02 AM.png
    445.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 9.54.31 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 9.54.31 AM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 37
Bug confirmed. The problem is XISF compression, which is causing problems in some cases with ImageIntegration in the latest version. I am going to fix this bug immediately, and will release an update as soon as possible. Thank you for reporting it.

The workaround is simple: Use the BatchFormatConversion script with the following Output format hints:

no-compression

Then select your XISF files, an output directory, and leave the rest of script parameters by default. The newly generated .xisf files will be uncompressed and will work perfectly with ImageIntegration.

Anyway, in general you shouldn't use compressed files with ImageIntegration for performance reasons.

Back