iPhone 14 RAW .dng format

I know pixinsight can load .dng raw formats ... can someone advise how I can open an iPhone 14 .dng file in pixinsight .... i'm getting this error

open "/Users/steve/Downloads/IMG_3400.DNG"

Opening 1 file(s):

/Users/steve/Downloads/IMG_3400.DNG

Reading metadata: done

Camera ............ Apple iPhone15,3 back camera

Timestamp ......... 2022-09-24T02:51:35Z

Time offset ....... -05:00

GPS coordinates ... 89 52 08.77 W 35 05 50.70 N 98.84 m

Exposure .......... 1/187s

ISO speed ......... 80

Focal length ...... 6.86 mm

Aperture .......... f/1.78 = 3.85 mm

CFA pattern ....... Bayer

Raw dimensions .... w=8064 h=6048

Image geometry .... x=0 y=0 w=8064 h=6048

Image rotation .... 270 deg

Raw decoding parameters:

Output mode ............... cfa

Auto crop ................. enabled

Wavelet noise threshold ... 0

White balancing ........... disabled

Black point correction .... disabled

Highlights clipping ....... disabled

Auto rotate ............... disabled

Output image .............. w=8064 h=6048 n=1 Gray

<* failed *>

*** Error: No supported/valid image in file: /Users/steve/Downloads/IMG_3400.DNG

** Warning: No files were opened.

I'm also attaching my settings ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.15.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.15.52 AM.png
    633.5 KB · Views: 59
Your setting look OK to me. Do you have any other app on your PC that can open this file?
".dng" files are essentially TIFF files, so it might open if you change the extension to .tif.

I lose the CFA pattern if I do so ... however, I can open in photoshop and it will raster to a color image which I can open in pixinsight via tif format.

light source allowed me to open in the CFA pattern, and save to tiff ... when opened in pixinsight no CFA pattern and no color data.

no CFA pattern and no color data.
Do you mean no CFA patern metadata, or no CFA pattern (i.e. does the monochrome data actually have a visible CFA matrix pattern)?
If the CFA pattern is there in the data, you can work round the lack of metadata (i.e. by selecting it manually).

... but it would be nice to know what is upsetting LibRaw with the original file.

When I open the tiff that looks like it has the pattern in Light source, it is no longer visible in pixinsight.

I think the team needs to look at the DNG apple file and see what is going on. With 42 megapixel raw data, who wouldn't want to integrate a bunch of these frames :)

I think the team needs to look at the DNG apple file and see what is going on.
If you mean the PI team, I don't think that is likely. The LibRaw libary that is used for raw format input is a third party library, imported and used "as is" by PI. If LibRaw can't handle these particular .dng files it will be up to the LibRaw team to sort it out.
If you can upload a sample .dng file from your camera and post a link here, someone may be able to work out what is going wrong.

Back