Integration of LibRaw 0.21.0 Release

Juan Conejero

PixInsight Staff
Staff member
Hi all,

Yesterday we released an update to our standard RAW file format support module built with the latest LibRaw 0.21.0 Release version (released 2022 December 18). This version adds support for several recent camera models:
  • Canon EOS R3, R7 and R10
  • Fujifilm X-H2S, X-T30 II
  • OM System OM-1
  • Leica M11
  • Sony A7-IV (ILCE-7M4)
  • DJI Mavic 3
  • Nikon Z9 (standard compression formats only)
See the official announcement of LibRaw 0.21 for complete information:

Hello

I am trying to process in WBPP Samsung S23 ultra DNG raw files but appeared an error in LibRaw and the process didn’t run. And Pixinsight also doesn’t open the file in the workspace. How can I solve the problem? I verified that my installed RAW module is the version 1.5.3. I think it's not the latest… How can I update it? I use the latest version of MacOS Ventura and Pixinsight 1.8.9-1.

Thank you
Kind regards
Mário Rui Abade

Last edited:
The current versions are: PixInsight v1.8.9-1, RAW module v1.6.0, LibRaw v0.21.0.

If you are currently using an older PixInsight version, these are the steps for an update:
Download the current version for your OS from Software Distribution https://pixinsight.com/dist/ . Deinstall the old PixInsight version, install the current one. Run PixInsight, click on 'RESOURCES/Updates/Check for Updates' and follow the instructions.

However, LibRaw v0.21.0 (and also v0.21.1) does not seem to support Samsung Galaxy S23. By all means, this model is not tabulated in the supported cameras list. So I'm not sure whether an update will solve the issue. I would perform an update of PixInsight anyway if you are using an older version.

I just realized that you wrote that you are already using Pixinsight 1.8.9-1 - that's weird, the RAW module should have been updated automatically. You can try the following:

1. Click on 'RESOURCES/Updates/Check for Updates': are updates available? If so, follow the instructions, otherwise go to 2.

2. Click on 'PROCESS/Modules/Install Modules', click on 'Search': is a new RAW module available for installation? If so, perform the installation, otherwise go to 3.

3. Run the installer of PixInsight v1.8.9-1 and use option 'Repair'.

Bernd

Hello

I am trying to process in WBPP Samsung S23 ultra DNG raw files but appeared an error in LibRaw and the process didn’t run. And Pixinsight also doesn’t open the file in the workspace. How can I solve the problem? I verified that my installed RAW module is the version 1.5.3. I think it's not the latest… How can I update it? I use the latest version of MacOS Ventura and Pixinsight 1.8.9-1.

Thank you
Kind regards
Mário Rui Abade
I believe I've seen complaints that Samsung DNG files aren't proper DNG format. Which means you are dependent upon a library that knows how to handle them, and LibRaw is usually a bit behind with updates. I think Adobe DNG can convert Samsung's ooc DNG to proper DNG format, which LibRaw can definitely deal with. You may just need to batch convert your files before using PI.

The current versions are: PixInsight v1.8.9-1, RAW module v1.6.0, LibRaw v0.21.0.

If you are currently using an older PixInsight version, these are the steps for an update:
Download the current version for your OS from Software Distribution https://pixinsight.com/dist/ . Deinstall the old PixInsight version, install the current one. Run PixInsight, click on 'RESOURCES/Updates/Check for Updates' and follow the instructions.

However, LibRaw v0.21.0 (and also v0.21.1) does not seem to support Samsung Galaxy S23. By all means, this model is not tabulated in the supported cameras list. So I'm not sure whether an update will solve the issue. I would perform an update of PixInsight anyway if you are using an older version.

I just realized that you wrote that you are already using Pixinsight 1.8.9-1 - that's weird, the RAW module should have been updated automatically. You can try the following:

1. Click on 'RESOURCES/Updates/Check for Updates': are updates available? If so, follow the instructions, otherwise go to 2.

2. Click on 'PROCESS/Modules/Install Modules', click on 'Search': is a new RAW module available for installation? If so, perform the installation, otherwise go to 3.

3. Run the installer of PixInsight v1.8.9-1 and use option 'Repair'.

Bernd
Hello bulrichl

I did your recommendations and it's fine now. LibRaw em Raw module are updated. Thank you so much.
However, I still can't open dng files from S23 in PI.

I believe I've seen complaints that Samsung DNG files aren't proper DNG format. Which means you are dependent upon a library that knows how to handle them, and LibRaw is usually a bit behind with updates. I think Adobe DNG can convert Samsung's ooc DNG to proper DNG format, which LibRaw can definitely deal with. You may just need to batch convert your files before using PI.
Hello cloudbait,

I tried to convert to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter but PI still can't deal with that. Will I can convert the files to TIFF 32-bit and edit in PI using the WBBP? What program do you recommend to do this conversion?

Hello cloudbait,

I tried to convert to DNG with Adobe DNG Converter but PI still can't deal with that. Will I can convert the files to TIFF 32-bit and edit in PI using the WBBP? What program do you recommend to do this conversion?
Interesting. I've loaded "proper" DNG files into PI (ones converted using Adobe DNG) without difficulty. I don't have have any suggestions for free batch converters to TIFF. If you have Photoshop, it can do such conversions on entire folders.

Unfortunately I am not able to help with these images. Recently there was a discussion in the LibRaw site, see this thread: https://www.libraw.org/node/2759 . Please report your issue to Alex Tutubalin and post the link to your images.

Bernd

I already asked Alex Tutubalin:

I do not see any problems with your files and current public LibRaw release (0.21.1).

Here are rendered tiffs and embedded previews extracted from files you attached by LibRaw 0.21.1 sample applications: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rccgwsqbp4iw83p/AABInLkLHElQs1Tcb2UvFtyza?dl=0

Probably your vendor uses an outdated LibRaw version (or have other integration problem), so, yes, it is better to contact us directly.

OK, I expect that LibRaw v0.21.1 will be integrated in the forthcoming PixInsight update (v1.8.9-2).

Bernd

Hi all,

Yesterday we released an update to our standard RAW file format support module built with the latest LibRaw 0.21.0 Release version (released 2022 December 18). This version adds support for several recent camera models:
  • Canon EOS R3, R7 and R10
  • Fujifilm X-H2S, X-T30 II
  • OM System OM-1
  • Leica M11
  • Sony A7-IV (ILCE-7M4)
  • DJI Mavic 3
  • Nikon Z9 (standard compression formats only)
See the official announcement of LibRaw 0.21 for complete information:

Hello Juan Conejero,

When is up to coming a new Pixinsight update with LibRaw 0.21.1?

Thanks

This problem has already been solved in version 1.8.9-2:

Desktop1_Preview01.jpg

These DNG files don't store CFA mosaiced frames but RGB images. This confused the RAW module in previous versions (including the current 1.8.9-1). Note that in the screenshot above, the module still reports "demosaic" output mode, which is incorrect because there is nothing to be demosaiced. This wrong information will be corrected in the final version.

Note also that these special raw files cannot be loaded when the RAW module is configured to open RAW CFA frames, since they are not CFAs.

Version 1.8.9-2 should have been released about two months ago. The complexity of some new features that we include in this version, along with some priority tasks and other problems we have had during these months, has forced us to postpone the release. It should be ready by the end of this month or the beginning of June.

View attachment 18550

These DNG files don't store CFA mosaiced frames but RGB images. This confused the RAW module in previous versions (including the current 1.8.9-1). Note that in the screenshot above, the module still reports "demosaic" output mode, which is incorrect because there is nothing to be demosaiced. This wrong information will be corrected in the final version.

Note also that these special raw files cannot be loaded when the RAW module is configured to open RAW CFA frames, since they are not CFAs.

Version 1.8.9-2 should have been released about two months ago. The complexity of some new features that we include in this version, along with some priority tasks and other problems we have had during these months, has forced us to postpone the release. It should be ready by the end of this month or the beginning of June.
Thank you for your response Juan Conejero.
I will be waiting for the new version. :)
Kind regards

View attachment 18550

Hi Juan, can you give us users a new perspective on the much needed PI update?

Back