Images darker when looking at them on another computer

smolony

I've been having a problem where my images look great on my Mac when processing them but after I save them and share them on another platform they are always darker that the ones on my Mac. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I find myself lightening them up a bit in order to post them. That's not right. Wierd

Thanks Sean

You have just stepped into a minefield.
  • The different computers may have different monitor adjustment (brightness; contrast; colour saturation...).
  • The different computers may have different monitor calibration (more fundamental than simple adjustment).
  • Th display application may have different ICC profile settings (which may specify different colour mappings between different colour spaces, depending on different rendering intents).
You can either spend some time reading up on these options (depending on your background the time may be a few hours or a few years...), or like most folks you can play around with the monitor settings and the application colour rendering options until you get somewhere close to what you want.
The bottom line: if you display the same colour image on two different computers they will very rarely look the same, and will often look significantly different.

I've been having a problem where my images look great on my Mac when processing them but after I save them and share them on another platform they are always darker that the ones on my Mac. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I find myself lightening them up a bit in order to post them. That's not right. Wierd

Thanks Sean
Hi Sean, the answer to your dilemma is monitor calibration. There are software and hardware tools available to calibrate your monitor which are definitely worth the time to look in to. In your case it would seem that the monitor is adjusted to be too bright so the image seems to be ok when in fact it is not. A hardware calibration tool can be placed on the front of the monitor and combined with the provided software allow the brightness and (just as important) the colours to be adjusted. Alternatively, do a search on software calibration tools and give that a go.

Rodney

Thank you very much. Tha't all good information. I had a feeling that the answer I got from Fred would be the answer. However I never thought about pointing the problem back at my Mac being too bright. It's certainly worth a try. I've seen the small readers that you place on your monitor to calibrate it. I'll give that a try. Thanks to the both of you for the responses.

Sean Molony

Hi Sean, having a macbook pro (recent one) I always tune the monitor to photography when I start Pixinsight to process a dataset. At least it is a setting parameters that is tuned to be as clean for photography rendering before entering into tuning your screen with dedicated tools.
Hope this help

Hi Sean, having a macbook pro (recent one) I always tune the monitor to photography when I start Pixinsight to process a dataset. At least it is a setting parameters that is tuned to be as clean for photography rendering before entering into tuning your screen with dedicated tools.
Hope this help
Hey thanks! Now I have to figure out how to do that. I have several windows boxes and only purchased the Mac for astro pics, so I don't know a lot about how the whole systems works. I'm learning but its taking time.

Thanks again

Hi Sean, here is a capture but it is in french. This parameter in under the gear wheel called "system settings" or "réglages systeme"
You also have some more sophisticated option like "étalonnage" which requires a dedicated screen sensor.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-03-20 à 08.57.50.png
    Capture d’écran 2024-03-20 à 08.57.50.png
    288 KB · Views: 24
As fruciak mentioned, you could also set it to sRGB, which is the web "standard" and ensures pictures (almost) the same on different browsers.
1711013861667.png

Back