Image Processing

rdryfoos

Hello--I recently took 60 subs for each channel and was wondering if there is a way to open 1 sub, process it until I like it (Hist Trans, Curves, DEE etc), then apply those settings to the other 59 subs for that channel

Thanks

Rodd

yes, if you do all the processing, then open the history explorer on the image and drag the triangle to the desktop, you'll have the entire processing history in one process icon. then you can use ImageContainer to make a list of all the files. you then drag the imagecontainer triangle to the desktop, and then drag the IC process icon onto the processing history process icon (or vice versa).

however, it's never been clear to me that whatever masks you applied during the processing are still used when you apply the process icon to an image (or to the images in the ImageContainer). if not, then the results won't be as expected.

rob

pfile said:
yes, if you do all the processing, then open the history explorer on the image and drag the triangle to the desktop, you'll have the entire processing history in one process icon. then you can use ImageContainer to make a list of all the files. you then drag the imagecontainer triangle to the desktop, and then drag the IC process icon onto the processing history process icon (or vice versa).

however, it's never been clear to me that whatever masks you applied during the processing are still used when you apply the process icon to an image (or to the images in the ImageContainer). if not, then the results won't be as expected.

rob

I am mostly concerned with the beginning things before integration--Making sure the individual subs have similar Histograms and background values, gradient removals etc.  I was told this is preferable as apposed to just integrating them into stacks as is.  Maybe I'm wrong.  How much processing do you do prior to integration?  Or do you wait until you have a stack then do all your processing?

generally speaking, the answer is "none". in fact you shouldn't do anything to de-linearize the subexposures before they are stacked.

in some cases due to extremely bad LP gradients i have run ABE on individual subs with ImageContainer (DBE does not work with ImageContainer...) but that's the extent of it. ImageIntegration does not need the SNR or the levels in the input subs to be the same*, so there's no need to mess with that.

[*] within reason - i have definitely seen II improperly reject low/high pixels when the input subs have wildly different levels. but generally speaking it works properly without any massaging of input subs at all.

rob

pfile said:
generally speaking, the answer is "none". in fact you shouldn't do anything to de-linearize the subexposures before they are stacked.

in some cases due to extremely bad LP gradients i have run ABE on individual subs with ImageContainer (DBE does not work with ImageContainer...) but that's the extent of it. ImageIntegration does not need the SNR or the levels in the input subs to be the same*, so there's no need to mess with that.

[*] within reason - i have definitely seen II improperly reject low/high pixels when the input subs have wildly different levels. but generally speaking it works properly without any massaging of input subs at all.

rob

Thanks--I was confused (what else is new?)--I had seen where the calibrated stacks (RGB) were processed prior to integration into colored images.  That is good to do correct?

well... i think we're into terminology confusion now. a "stack" is the same as an integrated image. in other words the terms "stacking" and "integration" are sometimes used interchangeably to mean "summing images to increase the final SNR". "master" is also used to refer to an integrated image ("master dark" - an integration of a bunch of dark subexposures, "master light" - an integration of a bunch of light subs).

i think you are referring to ChannelCombination - the process of 'merging' 3 or more monochrome images into an RGB image.

so yeah, sometimes you will do some processing to each channel's master image before the combination. you might do noise reduction, or deconvolution, or match levels between the channel masters with LinearFit before creating the RGB image. but generally speaking there are only 3-5 master images depending on what you are doing, so the need for batch processing is not really there (and also you probably need to apply different NR parameters to each filter's master light, or different deconvolution settings, etc.)

rob

Back