Image Background Color

prestnm

I'm getting some purple and green background colors (image below) after running 'Weighted Batch Preprocessing' on my images. I haven't used PixInsight since summer, and I didn't have this issue then. (I'm using a QHY10 OSC camera.) Would somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• Image.JPG
    Image.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 57
It is not unusual to have a strong colour cast in your original image. DBE or ABE followed by colour calibration usually fixes it. I had a quick try at your image with ABE. It went a long way to fixing it, but not much more I could do with a jpeg.

The fact that your background changes from purple into green as you move down the figure suggests to me a strong gradient. What were the imaging conditions? (Moonlight, bright suburban location etc)

It is not unusual to have a strong colour cast in your original image. DBE or ABE followed by colour calibration usually fixes it. I had a quick try at your image with ABE. It went a long way to fixing it, but not much more I could do with a jpeg.

The fact that your background changes from purple into green as you move down the figure suggests to me a strong gradient. What were the imaging conditions? (Moonlight, bright suburban location etc)
Thanks, Geoff, I don't normally get a background with color this strong, and I wasn't able to eliminate the color cast in this image through processing. This image was taken from a 4.5 Bortles location with no moon. I didn't change anything (camera, procedure, etc.) from the last time I imaged and didn't have this issue.

After doing extensive testing of different Lights, Darks, Flats, and Biases, I discovered the cause of my background issues. It seems that my Master Flat was defective, showing banding when stretched. However, I have no clue how that could have happened. I use a Flat-Man and imaged flats as always.

is your flat duration really short? does your camera have an electronic shutter or a real shutter?

Back